Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > TFcon Discussion

Old 01-05-2020, 10:29 AM   #1
big dawg
Energon
Thinking about going in 2020- where should I stay?

Thinking of spending a week leading up to the con in the area with the family doing some thing- marine land, Niagara, science centre, museums. Any recommendations of where to stay somewhere “central” as I’m looking for an air bnb that I can use as a base of operations to drive to each place (ie hoping less than an hour drive between all points). Suggestions for cool attraction would be welcomed as well- we will have a 7 year old, a nine year old and possibly an 18 year old.

Thanks!
big dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:52 AM   #2
evenstaves
you renegade maverick
Re: Thinking about going in 2020- where should I stay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by big dawg View Post
Thinking of spending a week leading up to the con in the area with the family doing some thing- marine land, Niagara, science centre, museums. Any recommendations of where to stay somewhere “central” as I’m looking for an air bnb that I can use as a base of operations to drive to each place (ie hoping less than an hour drive between all points). Suggestions for cool attraction would be welcomed as well- we will have a 7 year old, a nine year old and possibly an 18 year old.

Thanks!
Assuming you mean TO? My main jam if I need to stay central-ish, is the Staybridge in Richmond Hill
They're a bit north of the 401, but they got a complimentary breakfast buffet, and close to 404/DVP to get downtown

https://www.hotelplanner.com/9497-Br...ill-ON#dir-bar
evenstaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:07 AM   #3
OldOfflineMan
Beasty
OldOfflineMan's Ebay Auctions

Do you mean TFCON in Mississauga (just outside Toronto proper)? If so the most central location for an AirBNB may actually be in Mississauga itself. Even though it is geographically close to downtown Toronto, it takes roughly the same time to drive to Niagara Falls and downtown Toronto, due to the heavy traffic during the week on the QEW and 400-series highways.

To minimize the time stuck in traffic, have you considered booking different AirBNBs throughout your stay here?

I recommend the following:

1. Having an AirBNB in downtown Toronto near a subway station. You can buy a city pass for the ROM, CN Tower, Ripley's Aquarium, Casa Loma and Science Centre/Metro Zoo:

https://www.citypass.com/toronto

You can easily spend a day each at the ROM, Ripley's Aquarium and the Science Centre / Metro Zoo. CN Tower and Casa Loma are each half-day things. I'd add the Eaton Centre too if your family wants to do some malling.

With the exception of Metro Zoo and the Science Centre, the rest of the attractions are in downtown Toronto and reachable by public transit (TTC), which beats being stuck in traffic or spending time (and significant money) finding parking. TTC is free for kids 12 and under.

The Science Centre is reachable by TTC, but that one is probably better driving.

The Metro Zoo is at eastern border of Metropolitan Toronto near the border of Scarborough and Pickering and requires driving.

2. Having an AirBNB in the Niagara Falls area. This will provide access to both the famous wineries in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Niagara Falls, Marine Land, Butterfly Conservatory, and the kinda family friendly attractions in the city of Niagara Falls itself. When driving in that area, please be careful you don't accidentally end up in duty-free / border zones, as it's a huge hassle to get out of those without ID / passports.

3. (Optional) AirBNB in the Mississauga area near the TFCON. This is only necessary, I think, if you intend to attend the entire 3 days. The convention centre is reachable from downtown Toronto if you don't mind the traffic.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:08 AM   #4
big dawg
Energon

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstaves View Post
Assuming you mean TO? My main jam if I need to stay central-ish, is the Staybridge in Richmond Hill
They're a bit north of the 401, but they got a complimentary breakfast buffet, and close to 404/DVP to get downtown

https://www.hotelplanner.com/9497-Br...ill-ON#dir-bar
I want to do air bnb so looking for which neighborhood’s are safe and clean and central but close to where tfcon is going to be (apologize I didn’t click on the link you provided)
Old 01-05-2020, 11:38 AM   #5
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

I would say Mississauga is a better choice than Richmond Hill (I live in Richmond Hill myself), because Mississauga is closer to most of the attractions that you want visit, during rush hour the difference can be an hour. It's near the TFCon, to Niagra fall, etc.

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:34 PM   #6
big dawg
Energon

Thanks for the reply’s folks
Old 01-06-2020, 01:39 PM   #7
Xtreme987
Metroplex

You may want to consider staying right @ the Hilton where the con is. 1 or 2 less trip's you'll have to make.
Xtreme987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:13 PM   #8
cr3d1t
Beast Machine

We stayed at the Hilton during our visit. It was a great idea. I really enjoyed visiting the hotel rooms TF fans had open on the different floors for meeting and greeting. Those are my favorite memories. I bought a "Aw Hell Gnaw" shirt that I still love.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:35 PM   #9
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon

https://www.tfcon.ca/tfcon-toronto-2...l-block-online