Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

View Poll Results: Who Pays the 4% Fee, Buyer or Seller?
Buyer 34 64.15%
Seller 19 35.85%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2017, 06:41 PM   #11
Ozrein
Stunticon
Re: Who Pays the 4% Paypal Fee!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Private sales = buyer.
Business = seller.
This, totally this.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:09 PM   #12
Mega Truck
Machine War

What's it really matter ? The seller can just incorporate 4% to the sale price and nobody is any wiser. Is it actually worth getting excited over ? So a $200 item would cost you $208 - is that really a deal breaker.....
Mega Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:39 PM   #13
predahank
Storing is hoarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79transam View Post
As a seller, I give a price and thats that. I don't expect anyone to pick up the costs incurred by my preferred method of transactions.
As a buyer, I think it's arrogant for anyone to even ask for the 4% on top of their asking price. And I always skip those sale ads because of it.
From my experience this is what the majority of sellers do so that leaves you a pretty shallow pool to shop from.

I don't see how this is arrogant. If it bothers you that much than pay by emt or offer 4% less
predahank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:58 PM   #14
DCompose
Robot Master

I guess I'm from the old school of collecting. When I started buying transformers, It was with a money order via mail, and never would I ask the buyer of an item to pay my bank fees for depositing a US Money Order (And yes, fees like that existed).
Old 10-24-2017, 09:55 PM   #15
79transam
Machine War

Quote:
Originally Posted by predahank View Post
From my experience this is what the majority of sellers do so that leaves you a pretty shallow pool to shop from.

I don't see how this is arrogant. If it bothers you that much than pay by emt or offer 4% less
If it bothers me I just move on. And it does. So I do. I literally don't care how I pay someone either. But if someone wants 4% on top of their asking price, I'm not interested. When I sell my used stuff, it's always negotiable, the price is the price, it's an easy transaction for anyone who ever bought from me (or traded), if 4% was that big a deal to me I would stetch and stretch every single day till I could plant my head right up tight inside my backside.

Arrogance is believing what you got is so special that anyone wanting it should pay all the fees you get charged to use their safe exchanges platform. Most of the time it's used stuff at new retail prices. Lol. Arrogance

Last edited by 79transam; 10-24-2017 at 10:02 PM.
79transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:02 PM   #16
BoNKerS
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCompose View Post
I guess I'm from the old school of collecting. When I started buying transformers, It was with a money order via mail, and never would I ask the buyer of an item to pay my bank fees for depositing a US Money Order (And yes, fees like that existed).
Oh man... I too did the same back in the day with eBay. It was always money orders!!

Thank goodness for PayPal!!
BoNKerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:43 PM   #17
steamwhistle
Crossover

Quote:
Private sales = buyer.
Business = seller.
I also agree with this line of thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79transam View Post
As a buyer, I think it's arrogant for anyone to even ask for the 4% on top of their asking price. And I always skip those sale ads because of it.
I don't mind that private sellers ask for this... I can understand why they do. They aren't big business sellers who can write off these fees as part of a business expense, and such individual private sellers also aren't typically selling a lot of inventory at marked-up prices which could easily offset the 4% fee. I'll appreciate that private sellers are clear and up front about this charge in their listings. If I am to be a buyer, I will assess the seller, and their feedback, and decide if I'll pay by PayPal gift or EMT, or if I feel the "need" to pay the extra 4% as precautionary insurance/assurance.

Each individual has their own comfort level regard terms under which they want to make a transaction. The important thing to me is clarity on then terms and products.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Feedback thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=steamwhistle
steamwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:53 PM   #18
Nocturn
Previously Dead

If the seller wants the fee to be covered, they should incorporate it into their price. If I as a buyer feel I'm being nickeled-and-dimed I'm more than likely taking my business elsewhere.

Just tell me what you expect me to pay up front, dammit, don't weasel around and make me do math to figure out what my actual cost is. Even if list+fees is less than than the other guy who has a straight up price I'll probably deal with that latter because I'm not into the hassle. It's not my job to account for all the stuff you're going through to send me the item. If you are assuming the position of a seller; essentially an online business, that's your responsibility. Why am I, your customer, suddenly your logistics division? Just set a price, tell me the shipping if applicable, and send the damn thing.

To make the buyer pay the fee on top is to assume the buyer needs YOU, but that's backwards, you need THEM. You're the one who wants to sell the figure and went out of their way to list it online. Realistically, the buyer is doing you a favour by giving you their business. They do not need you. Unless its a lucky draw or something, someone else out there is selling the same toy.

Say your buddy drives you to the post office to send my package and later asks you for gas money. Do I have to pay him too now? Or maybe you use a sketchy post office and on your way home you get stabbed, am I paying your hospital fees? Or should the seller, as a seller, incorporate the costs of doing business into the product price? Cause if you list it for less and then charge me for a bunch of bullshit, that's gonna be the end of the deal

People's time is a precious as their money and if you're wasting either for your customers, you'll soon find yourself without customers.

That being said, I've always used paypal gift or EMT anyway

Before the flamewar, let's just appreciate the 50/50 split on opinion

Last edited by Nocturn; 10-24-2017 at 11:05 PM.
Nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:59 PM   #19
Pascal
Banned

I will admit though, during the last, the vast majority of the payments I've received from Canadian buyers have been of the EMT type, so no fee asked. Most of my Paypal payments come from American buyers (it's their only option after all) but I don't recall anyone arguing about the 4%. I make it very clear in the very first post in my BST threads and I don't mind at all if the fee is scaring potential buyers, I'm not THAT desperate for money.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:17 AM   #20
79transam
Machine War

Quote:
I will admit though, during the last, the vast majority of the payments I've received from Canadian buyers have been of the EMT type, so no fee asked. Most of my Paypal payments come from American buyers (it's their only option after all) but I don't recall anyone arguing about the 4%. I make it very clear in the very first post in my BST threads and I don't mind at all if the fee is scaring potential buyers, I'm not THAT desperate for money.
Americans don't care probably because the exchange rate is in their favor regardless.
In any case, if you're not that desperate for money, why is the 4% so important to pass off to the customer when paypal charges it to you, not them?

Last edited by 79transam; 10-25-2017 at 12:20 AM.
79transam is offline   Reply With Quote