Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2007, 07:58 PM   #1
Dark Rage
白人看不懂
Crashed into a Taxi door, should I demand compensation for medical costs?

Ok, right now I'm bleeding on my right knee, with bruises on my right shoulder, and a swollen bump on my left upper leg (hurts to bend my left knee).

I was essentially riding fast (but slowing down, not in time apparently) on the road between the sidewalk and the taxi, when suddenly he opens the door and I crash my bike ride into part of the door and land on the sidewalk. I'm arguing that it was his fault for not looking behind him before he opened the door.

The guy offered his Name and phone number, and I'm seriously considering to call him to pay for my bandaid, analgesic, and other medical costs for the injury he caused.

Should I ask for compensation for medical costs or not? Thanks.
Dark Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:00 PM   #2
chisau
Re: Crashed into a Taxi door, should I demand compensation for medical costs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_rage View Post
Ok, right now I'm bleeding on my right knee, with bruises on my right shoulder, and a swollen bump on my left upper leg (hurts to bend my left knee).

I was essentially riding fast (but slowing down, not in time apparently) on the road between the sidewalk and the taxi, when suddenly he opens the door and I crash my bike ride into part of the door and land on the sidewalk. I'm arguing that it was his fault for not looking behind him before he opened the door.

The guy offered his Name and phone number, and I'm seriously considering to call him to pay for my bandaid, analgesic, and other medical costs for the injury he caused.

Should I ask for compensation for medical costs or not? Thanks.
you should have call the police on him. that was a crime. Did you get his licence plate?

Also, you should get a doctor to take a look at you. OHIP should cover that.
chisau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:03 PM   #3
Dangard Ace
Masterpiece

http://www.toronto.ca/cycling/bikewe...eweek_2005.htm
Quote:
The "Door Prize"

Cyclists: A car door opens suddenly in front of you. Although the law requires drivers to look before opening a door into traffic, drivers are not always thinking about bikes. Ride far enough out to avoid the "door prize".

Motorists: It is your responsibility to ensure that you open your car door safely every time you exit your vehicle. It is illegal to open a car door into traffic. The fine is $105.00 plus two demerit points.
Hate taxi's (from both a cyclist and driver's standpoint). Go after his ass.
Dangard Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:04 PM   #4
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

I just wanted to get home as soon as possible at the time. I might need a witness though.

It was his car, he was a customer getting out of a taxi, I'm gonna post this on RFD to get some more advice too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisau View Post
you should have call the police on him. that was a crime. Did you get his licence plate?

Also, you should get a doctor to take a look at you. OHIP should cover that.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:20 PM   #5
BadJeff
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Sounds like the cab didn't open his door into "traffic" though. Opening on the curbside is (technically?) ok because of the speeds and expectations of the cyclist if riding on or besides the sidewalk. It really blows that this happened to you, sorry you got buggered up. We can all offer up our 2 cents here but the best advice would probabbly come from an ambulance chaser...er.. sorry, I meant lawyer on this.
Otherwise, I prescribe 500cc's of cold beer stat!
BadJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:21 PM   #6
y2jversion1
Machine War

Damn man, I just got back from a walk to Silver Snail (doing OT at work) and I was just telling my friend after seeing a bunch of chicks riding their bikes how afraid I was to even think of riding downtown with the crazy drivers..

Sucks to see it happened to you

You should see if you can get something out of him because if you're downtown you should know by default that there will be bikes around and you must be more cautious.

Perhaps contact a police station and see your options?
y2jversion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:29 PM   #7
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

Thanks for the concern guys, you're much better than Redflagdeals, they're more or less gonna call me a lowballing/cheapskate for asking this question.

I wasn't wearing a helmet though, nor with any mirror or bell, considering that most people in the GTA don't even follow the cyclist laws anyways.

I don't want to bring him to court, just ask him if he could kindly pay for some of the bandaid costs, albeit a small amount.

And I was heading to Dufferin Mall TRU...which was why I was biking so fast.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:36 PM   #8
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

Luckily the MISB Alt Silverstreak and Dead End in my backpack weren't crushed or damage though...
Old 08-10-2007, 10:30 PM   #9
Nightscrabbler
mississaugascrabble.com

Ouch, that's awful. I'm not sure what to say about the compensation. Personally, I'd probably forget about it as long as the medical cost wasn't over $10 and the person showed some genuine consideration for me when it happened.

Also, check to see if the Taxi was a Decepticon as this happens in the Transformers movie to Sam.
Nightscrabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:34 PM   #10
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Ouch, that's awful. I'm not sure what to say about the compensation. Personally, I'd probably forget about it as long as the medical cost wasn't over $10 and the person showed some genuine consideration for me when it happened.

Also, check to see if the Taxi was a Decepticon as this happens in the Transformers movie to Sam.
My shoulder is getting more and more stiff, because of an emerging huge bruise, I'm quite sure it'll cost more than $20 now, as soon as I get the medicine/cream. People on the other forum I posted on are pissing all over me 'cause I'm arguing over $10-30 worth of medical costs; maybe for them that's ok, but I'm a student, and that's still a decent chunk of money to me.