Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 07-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
SimonMK
Armada
Questions about Transformers G1 show.

I bought this Complete series boxset for my brother because I know he loved G1 when he was a kid.

http://tformers.com/article.php?sid=11730

1 day, while we were visiting a video store, we found this:

http://therealmcast.com/2011/04/11/t...and-cover-art/

Is that part of G1, was that included in the Complete Boxset mentioned earlier? Because even my brother is not sure if that was in G1 because its says ''Japanese exclusive, for the first time ever in English''.

I tried searching in Google for more info but its confuse me more. Apparently, this doesn't have English voice acting?

Asking this because he asked me to buy this as his birthday gift but I don't want to buy something he already have or something not good.
SimonMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
racerguy76
Nexus Maximus
Re: Questions about Transformers G1 show.

The headmaster series was not included in the complete G1 boxset. I thought the G1 season 4 was only 3 or 4 episodes long. I'm pretty sure that series is subtitled as well.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
bedtime
Nexus Maximus

headmasters wasnt aired in america, etc... its technically still g1 though.

i'm @bedtime_ on twitter.
bedtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
Benzo
Plastic Crack Addict

Headmasters is still G1 but was aired only in Japan. after Headmasters there were Masterforce, Victory and Zone. G1 in Japan ended with the Battlestars Manga. G1 in America ended with seasons 3/4
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
sikkbones
Banned

G1 ended with the Rebirth.
sikkbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

I wouldn't bother buying it unless he wants to watch a japanese transformer series and see how the Japanese handled headmasters/targetmasters (much differently than they did in North America).

It is not included in the complete set, and I can almost guarantee he's never seen any of those episodes before, and yes the Headmasters series is in Japanese with English subtitles.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:30 AM   #7
juxtapose519
Robot Master

Season 4 of the original G1 series was cancelled and only 3 episodes were produced. Those episodes introduced the Headmasters and Targetmasters. They were an alien race called the "Nebulans" who basically bonded with their Transformers partners.

After the cancellation, the series was picked up again as a Japan-only series called "Headmasters". It basically ignored those 3 episodes from the US series and rewrote the canon. They scrapped the Nebulan idea and instead made the Headmasters/Targetmasters/Powermasters normal robots from Cybertron.

SO, it all really depends which canon you prefer. The Nebulan concept was a little bit lame, but those 3 "Rebirth" episodes are actually pretty awesome. The Headmasters series is also pretty awesome and is worth checking out as well, but you'll only find the dubbed Japanese version.

Trade | Cybertron Feedback | TFW Feedback | Collection
juxtapose519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juxtapose519 View Post
Season 4 of the original G1 series was cancelled and only 3 episodes were produced. Those episodes introduced the Headmasters and Targetmasters. They were an alien race called the "Nebulans" who basically bonded with their Transformers partners.
Not quite correct. According to Flint Dille (I believe) who wrote those episodes, he was approached to write a 5 part mini-series. Halfway through Hasbro comes and says it got cut to 3 episodes. So had the Herculean task of introducing something like 60 new characters in 66 minutes (since a half hour show is really 22 minutes long w/o commercials).

Quote:
Headmasters/Targetmasters/Powermasters normal robots from Cybertron.
Um, not quite.

The Powermasters don't come into play until the Super God Masterforce series. Where they were called Godmasters in Japan, and they were all human, until the last few episodes.

Quote:
SO, it all really depends which canon you prefer. The Nebulan concept was a little bit lame, but those 3 "Rebirth" episodes are actually pretty awesome. The Headmasters series is also pretty awesome and is worth checking out as well, but you'll only find the dubbed Japanese version.
This I agree with 100%! You should check them out, they're really cool.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #9
justprime
Animated

The Headmaster series along with masterforce and victory WERE later rereleased with a english voice over option in three boxed sets,... the voice over is pretty corny but saves one from trying to watch and read at the same time I enjoyed the series just the same,.... more recently they are being released in there original Japanese version from shout.
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote