Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2016, 07:53 PM   #21
joelones
Beast Machine
Re: NES classic edition worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULTIPLEX View Post
I'm interested in this Raspberry Pie but have no clue where to begin. Is there a resource for complete newbs? I am willing to put in some effort as long as the end point is worth it. But I don't even know what it's capable of doing. What's in it for me besides Kodi which I don't care about. So it plays games but what kind of games can I play on it? Is there a list? Where do I get them? These are the types of questions I have.

Newb out
I would get a Raspberry Pi 3, either standalone or as a kit. You'll pretty much need the little necessities if you don't go with a kit; like SD card, HDMi cable, case, a USB gamepad and at least a 2.5 Amp mini USB power adapter. The majority of the things can be sourced for cheap if you look. Presumably you'll already have a monitor/tv and usb keyboard needed for configuration. Check this recent thread over at Redflagdeals concerning the RPi3.

Once acquired, I'd suggested going to the RetroPie site. Download the current RetroPie image, write it to the SD card. Plug it in, along with the USB gamepad, configured the controller on boot and put roms (games) in the appropriate folder. If you have the RPi on your network, you'll be able to browse and drop roms in the specific folder. There's gonna be a folder for each type of emulator, NES, SNES, Genesis, etc.. If you have problems, Google is your friend and be sure to check the RetroPie help forum.

I did not intend to make it sound like it's easy and most certainly you'll need to put some effort, depending on your ease with this sort of thing. Of course it's a personal choice if it's all worth your time or not. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

The RPi is a seriously versatile little computer. If Kodi is not your thing and you'll a little savvy (or willing to learn) you can do just about anything with a RPi; tons of projects out there and a great community to boot. I built a home monitoring system with an old Pi I had laying around. There's a plethora of sensors that can be connected to it and programmable libraries (in Python) that can be used to communicate with them. In short the Pi is a great educational device for everyone, children especially, used as a great introduction to the world of computers and programming.

Last edited by joelones; 11-18-2016 at 11:34 PM.
joelones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:26 PM   #22
Chigimus
Masterpiece

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelones View Post
I would get a Raspberry Pi 3, either standalone or as a kit. You'll pretty much need the little necessities if you don't go with a kit; like SD card, HDMi cable, case, a USB gamepad and at least a 2.5 Amp mini USB power adapter. The majority of the things can be sourced for cheap if you look. Presumably you'll already have a monitor/tv and usb keyboard needed for configuration. Check this recent thread over at Redflagdeals concerning the RPi3.

Once acquired, I'd suggested going to the RetroPie site. Download the current RetroPie image, write it to the SD card. Plug it in, along with the USB gamepad, configured the controller on boot and put roms (games) in the appropriate folder. If you have the RPi on your network, you'll be able to browse and drop roms in the specific folder. There's gonna be a folder for each type of emulator, NES, SNES, Genesis, etc.. If you have problems, Google is your friend and be sure to check the RetroPie help forum.

I did not intend to make it sound like it's easy and most certainly you'll need to put some of effort, depending on your ease with this sort of thing. Of course it's a personally choice if it's all worth your time or not. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

The RPi is a seriously versatile little computer. If Kodi is not your thing and you'll a little savvy (or willing to learn) you can do just about anything with a RPi; tons of projects out there and a great community to boot. I built a home monitoring system with an old Pi I had laying around. There's a plethora of sensors that can be connected to it and programmable libraries (in Python) that can be used to communicate with them. In short the Pi is a great educational device for everyone, children especially, used as a great introduction to the world of computers and programming.

Hmmm... I haven't looked into an RPi muh as I haven't touched Linux anything in nearly 20 years, but hearing that it can support Kodi interests me more to use it as a unified media center/emulator box. How stable is Kodi on the RPi? I haven't used Kodi on PC yet but have been made familiar with how to set it up, the need for repositories/add-ons etc. for it, but never thought of putting it on an RPi and wondering how well it runs on that in comparison to a Windows platform. Not asking for a full how-to, just feedback on stability.

On topic though, has anyone else seen or heard of any newer sightings in terms of restock since it got released and sold out last week?
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 12:12 AM   #23
joelones
Beast Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigimus View Post
Hmmm... I haven't looked into an RPi muh as I haven't touched Linux anything in nearly 20 years, but hearing that it can support Kodi interests me more to use it as a unified media center/emulator box. How stable is Kodi on the RPi? I haven't used Kodi on PC yet but have been made familiar with how to set it up, the need for repositories/add-ons etc. for it, but never thought of putting it on an RPi and wondering how well it runs on that in comparison to a Windows platform. Not asking for a full how-to, just feedback on stability.

On topic though, has anyone else seen or heard of any newer sightings in terms of restock since it got released and sold out last week?
Kodi is stable on the RPi and has been for quite some time now. I'm by no means an expert, however, I do run Kodi on about a half dozen devices here, so I'm not sure what that makes me...probably qualified to dispense some advice. So to answer your question Kodi is very mature on RPi, in fact I still run it on a RPi1 model b, which is a little dated now but stable.

If you only want to run Kodi there are stripped down distributions specifically for that one application like OpenElec, LibreElec, OSMc , Xbian..probably more I don't know about. Generally little configuration is required with these.
On the other hand, RetroPie is closer to a full blown OS dedicated to gaming, requires you getting your hands a little dirty with the command line and Kodi is optionally installed as a normal application on top.
joelones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:23 AM   #24
Dragon Knight
Geass'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelones View Post
Kodi is stable on the RPi and has been for quite some time now. I'm by no means an expert, however, I do run Kodi on about a half dozen devices here, so I'm not sure what that makes me...probably qualified to dispense some advice. So to answer your question Kodi is very mature on RPi, in fact I still run it on a RPi1 model b, which is a little dated now but stable.

If you only want to run Kodi there are stripped down distributions specifically for that one application like OpenElec, LibreElec, OSMc , Xbian..probably more I don't know about. Generally little configuration is required with these.
On the other hand, RetroPie is closer to a full blown OS dedicated to gaming, requires you getting your hands a little dirty with the command line and Kodi is optionally installed as a normal application on top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigimus View Post

Depending on which model you get, you might need to invest in some additional peripherals. I'd suggest getting the Pi 3 since that has Bluetooth and Wifi already added onto the board itself.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:38 PM   #25
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

I watched this guy on youtube and it looked pretty easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjM-vaHJv_Y

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 01:04 PM   #26
Dragon Knight
Geass'd

You can also buy or 3D Print cases that resembles the classic nes:

http://pi-tendo.com/
Old 11-21-2016, 03:09 PM   #27
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

Can you add a Playstation I and II emulator to RPi?
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:40 PM   #28
Dragon Knight
Geass'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULTIPLEX View Post
Can you add a Playstation I and II emulator to RPi?
PS1, yes you can but it'll take some work as you need to DL a bios file and move it to the proper place.

PS2, no. The Pi and even Pi 3 aren't powerful enough to emulate PS2.

I won't tell you where to find the bios for legality's sake, but there's plenty of tutorials on how to set it up.

Last edited by Dragon Knight; 11-21-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Dragon Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:02 PM   #29
Mike
Robot Master
Mike's Ebay Auctions

Its kind of cool, but not worth $80 bucks IMO, maybe $40 or $50. If ya just wanna play the games without hassle though its awesome. Getting an original to work isn't always easy lol. And emulators can be a pain sometimes as well. At least with this you can just plug it in, and you know it's going to work.
Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 02:02 AM   #30
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

I got that guide book I posted about earlier in this thread. I opted for the paperback version. It's great for only $22.24 +HST. My daughter and I have been going through it getting tips and seeing the maps. Not sure what people are expecting out of it. I don't care about the history and such. As long as I have my Startropics, Mario and Zelda maps I'm happy, which it does. Money well spent IMO. Paper quality was fine too. So it's not glossy. Still super clear.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote