Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > TFcon Discussion

Old 02-20-2010, 10:37 PM   #21
Ultra Maverick
The Bow Tie Guy
Re: Going to TFCon Toronto for the first time...

You never forget your first time

This will be my fourth year attending, July can't come fast enough, I'll do my best to answer some of your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonMK View Post

1. I won't be there Friday because of school, I plan on leaving Montreal at midnight. Am I missing something huge Friday?
-There is normally a pizza party and a parts trading event, it's a great time to meet some new friends

2. At what hours TFCon open Saturday and Sunday? My brother and I don't plan on renting a hotel room, we are mostly there to find TFs that interest us and buy them.
-I could be wrong but I think it opens 9:00 if you pre-register and 10am if you don't, and goes till about 5:00pm

3. Beside the paying the train, the entrance fee (I think its 25$?) and the TF toys, is there anything else to pay?
-Depends if you want to pick up any convention exclusives or join the customising class.... also, lunch, normally at Harvey's

4. What kind of TF toys I can find? Hasbro only? Takara's? Recent ones? Old series?
-all of the above and more, you won't be dissapointed by the selection, I guarantee that!

5. Can I bring my camera to take photos and have some souvenir? Its also my first time leaving Montreal and being in Toronto.
-lots of people bring cameras and snap some photos of everything there, so you should be able to do the same

6. If we decide to rent a hotel room, how much can I expect for it?
-I think the doubletree right now is around $119-$129/night. You may be able to get a discount if you pay in advance (like right now) but maybe not, I paid for my room in January and got a nice little discount

7. Are the TF toys from sellers all high priced? Or I can find some at very cheap price? Are they all MISB?
-Again, there are some MISB some loose and everything in between. Prices are competetive, it all depends on wehat you are looking for, I always make a list and determine what I am willing to spend on each figure, normally I spend less then what I prepare myself for, but I also take a couple of loops and compare prices before I make and purchases

It's a great time, we'll see you there

Last edited by Ultra Maverick; 02-20-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Ultra Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:46 PM   #22
omegalaw
Generation 2

I have a question I am a bit timid and I wont know anyone there whatever should I do?
Old 02-20-2010, 10:50 PM   #23
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

There will be lanyards you can put forum handles on

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:53 PM   #24
Malwave
Resident Gryphon
Malwave's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via MSN to Malwave Send a message via Skype™ to Malwave

well, I guess I had 2 questions myself;

firstly, how likely is it to find a roommate who has a room already? Like a percentage.

and secondly, are there ANY hotels near the Doubletree that don't require a credit card to reserve a room/rent a room?
Malwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:55 PM   #25
Ultra Maverick
The Bow Tie Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegalaw View Post
I have a question I am a bit timid and I wont know anyone there whatever should I do?

the beauty of TFcon is that everyone is there for the same reason, we all love transformers! I didn't know a single soul my first year, I came to Toronto by myself on the train and didn't know what to expect; but it is so easy to just start up a conversation with other fans, I ended up making a bunch of new friends.
Ultra Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:08 PM   #26
Rogue_Optimus
Armada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malwave View Post
xD just like Fan expo....but I meant the super-uber awesome package with the exclusive...xD I can't pick that up on any day except Friday?
ditto, as long as you pre-reg for the package beforehand, it'll be at the admission table for you whenever you get in. I picked my exclusive up last yr on sat. aft.
Rogue_Optimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:15 PM   #27
Malwave
Resident Gryphon
Malwave's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue_Optimus View Post
ditto, as long as you pre-reg for the package beforehand, it'll be at the admission table for you whenever you get in. I picked my exclusive up last yr on sat. aft.
XD awesome!...now I need to get a friend with a credit card to pre-register for me ^^;
Old 02-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #28
Protoman
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malwave View Post
well, I guess I had 2 questions myself;

firstly, how likely is it to find a roommate who has a room already? Like a percentage.

and secondly, are there ANY hotels near the Doubletree that don't require a credit card to reserve a room/rent a room?
What I suggest is starting up a TFcon roommates thread, mind you it's still a little early and like previous years it starts up around March-April, give it a shot, I mean some people are willing to sleep on the floor of someone's room just to have extra cash for the dealer room =P
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #29
Malwave
Resident Gryphon
Malwave's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
What I suggest is starting up a TFcon roommates thread, mind you it's still a little early and like previous years it starts up around March-April, give it a shot, I mean some people are willing to sleep on the floor of someone's room just to have extra cash for the dealer room =P
^^; I was actually thinking that, but the few friends I asked are either unsure they is getting a room or haven't answered back

besides, trying to secure a few things now so I don't have to worry about them later lol
Old 02-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #30
Aernaroth
Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonMK View Post
Ok then I try a list of all questions that come to my head.

1. I won't be there Friday because of school, I plan on leaving Montreal at midnight. Am I missing something huge Friday?

2. At what hours TFCon open Saturday and Sunday? My brother and I don't plan on renting a hotel room, we are mostly there to find TFs that interest us and buy them.

3. Beside the paying the train, the entrance fee (I think its 25$?) and the TF toys, is there anything else to pay?

4. What kind of TF toys I can find? Hasbro only? Takara's? Recent ones? Old series?

5. Can I bring my camera to take photos and have some souvenir? Its also my first time leaving Montreal and being in Toronto.

6. If we decide to rent a hotel room, how much can I expect for it?

7. Are the TF toys from sellers all high priced? Or I can find some at very cheap price? Are they all MISB?
1) Programming-wise, not anything HUGE, there's the parts party and some fun games (in the past there's been tf trivia, tf pictionary, hell, we even had rock band one year). But its also probably one of the better opportunities to just hang around meet people in a pretty chill atmosphere. If you can't make it, you can't make it, don't feel too broken up over it.

2) Hasn't been annouced yet. Check www.tfcon.ca for updates and for info on last years show. If you want to be one of the first in the dealer room, come early, because there's usually quite a line.

3) Let's see. From a TFcon perspective, there's the entry fee (for both days) and souvenirs (if you want them). From a total perspective, you'll need to account for travel, accomodations, parking, food, and then whatever you want to buy at the show. If you're asking about panels or autographs, however, they've been free in the past, except for the customizing class, which required you to pay for the materials for the hands-on workshop. You got your own toy out of it when you were finished though.

4) There's a good chance you'll find anything there, regardless of era or country of origin. Obviously, rarer stuff is less likely to show up, but this is your best shot in Canada, most likely.

5) Photos have not been an issue in the past, just use common camera courtesy (ask to take someone's picture, try not to distract people too much with your flash if they're trying to do something, etc.) There are some panels where photography or video recordings are prohibited, but you'll be warned about this.

5a) Are you planning on doing other stuff in Toronto or just TFcon? Don't really know what to tell you about the trip, unless you've got specific questions. Montreal and Toronto aren't THAT different, you should be fine.

6) Depends on what kind of room you get and where, but there's a block of discounted rooms reserved for TFcon, try to get one of those.

7) There's a wide range of stuff and prices, obviously an MISB G1 Jetfire is going to cost more than a junker Armada figure, but there's usually some dealers with really good deals, amazing selection, and/or irresistible oddities. Worst case, look around for the same item with other dealers, maybe you can get a better deal. BRING CASH. It really makes things a lot easier, and the ATM in the hotel tends to run out. Frequently.
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote