Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-23-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
FreedomGundam
Freedom, ikimasu!
Custom double-Detolfs

I was thinking of putting this in the Customs and Artwork section, but I figure it's probably best to leave it here.

So we all know that the Ikea Detolf is the default go-to display case for toy/figure collectors. It's by far not the best, but it's generally considered the best bang-for-your-buck.
There are several inherent problems with the stock Detolf:
- they're way too narrow to fit too many things, especially when you put in things with stands/bases
- the bottom two shelves are generally too low, and end up being the shelves with the "neglected" things

So following the inspiration from this guy's work (http://www.tofunction.com/model/2011...tolf-dual-mod/), I present you my own take on the double-Detolfs.

Materials needed:
- 2x Detolfs, obviously
- 2x 16"x32" wooden panel, 1" thick (I used melamine particle-board)
- 4x furniture legs (optional; I used a set of four 6" Ikea Capita legs), but you can skip this and use the stock Detolf "feet" if you don't mind the default height

Tools needed:
- drill, with 1/4" and 3/8" drillbits (and anything else you might need to attach the optional legs)
- router, with a 1/4" straight router bit

Tips/recommendations:
- Measure and drill carefully!
- The use of a drill press is HIGHLY recommended; you want the holes for the rods and everything to be perfectly straight.
- Use a good router and router bits; I used my Dremel with a router-attachment, and I burned/dulled TWO router bits doing this.

So here was my previous setup with two stock Detolfs. I normally had a crapload of boxes in the empty space to the left, and note the disassembled Detolf parts on the right side.

All you need is two panels with the proper holes drilled in the right places, and a channel routed correctly.

Here's a test-fit. No glass panels in place yet. The wiring that's visible is stuff for me to put in lighting later, and I added in a set 6" Ikea Capita legs (comes in packs of 4) to raise the unit (I originally wanted the 8" ones, but my local Ikea didn't have them in stock at the time, so I settled for the 6" ones).

Here it is assembled, but without the doors or shelves yet.

Left double-Detolf in place, with a comparison to two stock Detolfs put side-by-side.

Both double-Detolfs completed.

With the lack of glass panels in-between, even six 1/6-scale (12" tall) Hot Toys figures fit in with PLENTY of elbow room, with lots of space left for more additions:

Enjoy!
I'm not expert on woodworking, but I've built my share of wooden arcade sticks and arcade cabinets, so I'll do my best to answer any questions that come up.

TFs and other toys for sale! (last updated: Post-TFCon2018):
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=72568

Custom Double-Detolfs:
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=47820

Looking for:
- Cybertron Hot Shot
- Cybertron Defense Hot Shot
- G1 Repugnus
- G1 Scowl (with Monstructor foot)
- G1 Icepick small gun
- G1 Fire Guts God Ginrai

Last edited by FreedomGundam; 10-21-2017 at 09:41 AM.
FreedomGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
Commandoclone87
Seeker
Re: Custom double-Detolfs

This is brilliant! Now if only I had the cash for two detolfs and an Ikea in the area.
Commandoclone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:24 AM   #3
Nomad
Airachnid's ratservant
Send a message via AIM to Nomad Send a message via MSN to Nomad

Do you have a Jysk anywhere near? I'm asking couse they have something similar called a Seja Cabinet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvoyGTR View Post
"they're all gone, vultures everywhere"
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:49 AM   #4
SleeplessKnight
Robot in Disguise

That looks fantastic! I'm surprised Ikea haven't done something like this themselves yet.

Wanna build me one and ship it to Vancouver?
My Sales Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=20919

My Feedback Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=21836
SleeplessKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:53 AM   #5
Commandoclone87
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Do you have a Jysk anywhere near? I'm asking couse they have something similar called a Seja Cabinet.
The closest Jysk is Dartmouth and the closest Ikea is Montréal.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:07 AM   #6
Nomad
Airachnid's ratservant
Send a message via AIM to Nomad Send a message via MSN to Nomad

Hmm, seems like you're pretty fucked either way haha. Seriously though, I'd just try & keep both those places in mind when potential trips or vacations come around, and the same goes for ordering online. Maybe shipping isn't as horrible as we think it is. Also, I'm sure there's local classifieds where you're at, and it can't hurt to take a browse or make a wanted add.

Additionally, and probably the most fun, what about modding something totally different to have a glass front & or sides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvoyGTR View Post
"they're all gone, vultures everywhere"
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

Looks good, ikea hackers would be proud.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:15 AM   #8
sachiel_ca
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Seriously though, I'd just try & keep both those places in mind when potential trips or vacations come around, and the same goes for ordering online. Maybe shipping isn't as horrible as we think it is.
Shipping out our way is like 140$ just for one Detolf. So ya were pretty screwed for getting new stuff from Ikea. I usually end up getting stuff from them everytime I'm up in Ontario. Commadoclone, as for modding exsisting shelves I've had the idea of buying standard hinged pantry cabinets and replacing the doors with light weight ridgid plexiglass and then drilling the appropriate holes for the already included hardware. Seeing as how nothing in area sells glass only doors, and everything else seem as expensive as hell.
sachiel_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:19 AM   #9
Commandoclone87
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiel_ca View Post
Shipping out our way is like 140$ just for one Detolf. So ya were pretty screwed for getting new stuff from Ikea. I usually end up getting stuff from them everytime I'm up in Ontario. Commadoclone, as for modding exsisting shelves I've had the idea of buying standard hinged pantry cabinets and replacing the doors with light weight ridgid plexiglass and then drilling the appropriate holes for the already included hardware. Seeing as how nothing in area sells glass only doors, and everything else seem as expensive as hell.
That might be a great idea you've got there. I'm really, kinda kicking myself for not trying to pickup some of the glass shelving units that Zellers was selling before they closed. Especially the ones from the electronics section.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #10
down_shift
Fortress Maximus

Looks great man!
down_shift is offline   Reply With Quote