Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-20-2019, 03:40 PM   #41
ssjgoku22
Nexus Maximus
Re: The Seige Ultra Mangus pic, seems like Voyage class

Quote:
Originally Posted by xueyue2 View Post
Add fuel to the fire!

Another V and L class.
And before someone try to justify this... they are from the same SS line.

Remember though that RoF Megatron was a larger Voyager figure (about the same size as Blackout, who was a leader). For studio series, the sizes are more due to movie accuracy, so it makes sense to keep Megatron around the same height.
ssjgoku22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:13 PM   #42
imfallenangel
Cybertron

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderman View Post
Can't wait for the second wave. Wonder how the ironhide will look like. By the way Prime has such a huge backpack. If only Hasbro or somebody with a 3D printer should make a jetpack on top of that ugly backpack because they do have 2 ports back there. Come on Hasbro it's 2019 can't we do without huge backpacks and bits and pieces here and there!
Ask and ye shall receive...

New Ironhide preview/review is out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYCPLSmADaw
imfallenangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:31 PM   #43
BludChylde
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfallenangel View Post

He looks amazing. I was wondering why his weapon had extra 5mm pegs and now I know its for a hammer mode. I'm a little sad though, outside of PotP, I don't remember the last series I was able to pick up wave 2 figures at Walmart.
BludChylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:29 PM   #44
riderman
Beast Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfallenangel View Post

Thanks! Just hate all the hollow plastic but it can't be helped because of transformation. Sadly when I get it I have to deal with that missing paint and maybe use a Gundam Marker or some dry brushing to bring out the details on those panels and designs all over the vehicle and figure.
riderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:22 AM   #45
Nocturn
Previously Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjgoku22 View Post
Takara/Hasbro really don't care how these figures are going to scale with previous lines. Seige and everything onwards is all new and they're probably going to redo a bunch of characters we have already seen (like Rodimus and the likes). As long as the figures are good quality (so far so good), I'll happily buy them for a different scaled display.
+1. Expecting perfect scale when the toyline is forced into rigid price points, is just unreasonable. Even SS, with it's alleged focus on screen-accuracy and scale, gives us undersized and oversized figures, to fit the system that Hasbro has already established. Starscream and Brawl should be bigger compared to the carformers, for example, but there's only 3 different sizes in the line.

Quote:
Add fuel to the fire!
Another V and L class.
And before someone try to justify this... they are from the same SS line.
Yup that's some shit. Though DOTM clearly has more mass on him, it's marginal compared to the Voyager which sells for almost half the price of the leader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderman View Post
My wallet is aching but Magnus does look good beside Prime but for 70 bucks?
$70 for a figure that's only slightly bigger than the size class below it... oui Hasbro. I wanted siege Magnus initially but pictures and reviews don't make it seem like the value is there.

Quote:
It's not like SS ROTF Voyager Megatron a crappy toy. Do you actually think the "more mass, more paint, a removable weapon and that cloak." really worth the extra price?
Nope. However some folks will still buy it at full price, reinforcing these habits of Hasbro. So long as their product is selling, they have no reason to make it a better deal. Unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave 75 View Post
My personal favorite comparison is to put CW Megatron next to TR Overlord. Both are leader class toys, but Megatron looks more like an expensive toy. He looks much bigger and more complex. But according to the way Hasbro prices things out they have about the same amount of plastic in them, which is where most of the cost comes from.
Plastic mass seems to be the #1 factor in determining a figure's size class these days. Though, as illustrated by your example, number of parts also palpably plays a large role in Hasbro's costing process, which is fair, but unfortunate for us. CW Megatron is incredibly simple for a figure his size, and while Sky Shadow/Overlord aren't crazy with their designs, they have more going on than Megs does. A more complex figure seems to lose out on size in order to "make budget" - which, at Hasbro's MSRP's, is nearly all profit to begin with.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:26 PM   #46
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.
Re: The Siege Ultra Magnus pic, seems like Voyager class

Quote:
It's not like SS ROTF Voyager Megatron a crappy toy. Do you actually think the "more mass, more paint, a removable weapon and that cloak." really worth the extra price?
To a point, yes. They are giving you more stuff so it's going to cost more. Would you rather all lines were relegated to Legends/Legion class just so they would be cheap? No one is forcing you to buy them. Vote with your wallet! If sales at these higher prices are down, Hasbro will have to make changes. Or wait till they're on sale, or you have a coupon or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjgoku22 View Post
Remember though that RoF Megatron was a larger Voyager figure (about the same size as Blackout, who was a leader). For studio series, the sizes are more due to movie accuracy, so it makes sense to keep Megatron around the same height.
Also remember that ROTF Megs has a completely hollow body. So while they are the same height, they don't have the same mass.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:41 PM   #47
79transam
Machine War

Just wait for the oversize KO.
79transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:12 PM   #48
Deception
Crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BludChylde View Post
This is what aggravates me the most about the fandom. I don't know how many times people throw the term scale around and have no clue about what scaling even is.

and whats wrong with wanting scaling? devastator is a big bot. is it wrong that someone would prefer optimus prime to be smaller? like i said it's never going to be perfect but as for toys go its as close as you're going to get. i have a unicron figure. its way out of scale but i keep him with my collection because he's a character i don't have. everyones interpretation of scale won't be the same. official comics/movies don't make it the same. dreamwave had combiners that were the size of sky scrapers, but i'm to expect Groove to be that big? i know what real scale is but most importantly i know what i want in terms of toys in MY collection. i mean these are toys not model kits, but it doesn't mean you can't swap figures from different lines to make up what you want. all i'm saying is i'd prefer magnus to be taller. i mean he's a leader sized figure, compared to other leader toys i've owned, they seem to be shrinking. look at rotf optimus leader prime, that thing was huge. look at the powermaster prime figure, he huge even without the upgrade. even the combiner wars ultra magnus is bigger. thats one i have and will be keeping.

Last edited by Deception; 01-21-2019 at 07:22 PM.
Deception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:20 PM   #49
zhaobinis1
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave 75 View Post
Vote with your wallet! If sales at these higher prices are down, Hasbro will have to make changes.
To my own observation they are definitely not selling well. Even with a very limited stock of the first wave of Siege, they are still overstocked on the shelves. There are at least 10 voyager Megatron at Broadway TRU, and a few sets of micromasters. Although all Optimus are gone, I cant help worrying about the line when the second most charming characters is not selling.
zhaobinis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:44 PM   #50
BludChylde
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deception View Post
and whats wrong with wanting scaling? devastator is a big bot. is it wrong that someone would prefer optimus prime to be smaller? like i said it's never going to be perfect but as for toys go its as close as you're going to get. i have a unicron figure. its way out of scale but i keep him with my collection because he's a character i don't have. everyones interpretation of scale won't be the same. official comics/movies don't make it the same. dreamwave had combiners that were the size of sky scrapers, but i'm to expect Groove to be that big? i know what real scale is but most importantly i know what i want in terms of toys in MY collection. i mean these are toys not model kits, but it doesn't mean you can't swap figures from different lines to make up what you want. all i'm saying is i'd prefer magnus to be taller. i mean he's a leader sized figure, compared to other leader toys i've owned, they seem to be shrinking. look at rotf optimus leader prime, that thing was huge. look at the powermaster prime figure, he huge even without the upgrade. even the combiner wars ultra magnus is bigger. thats one i have and will be keeping.

I'm all for scale, hell I even admit that he looks good in scale with deluxes already based on screen shots from the G1 cartoon. And I like Devastator. 6 big construction vehicles, all of them as big as "insert combiner's torso bot here" should make a massive combiner. He shouldn't be eye to eye with Superion. Predaking doesn't bother me because they are supposed to be superior killing machines compared to their real life animal counterparts. They should be big and beefy. I haven't bought PotP Prime, because OP in that class size is way too big. Same reason I didn't grab Rodimus either.

And with phrases like "everyones interpretation of scale won't be the same. official comics/movies don't make it the same." and "all i'm saying is i'd prefer magnus to be taller." show you know shit about scale. You have a preference. A preference isn't a scale. That's fine. Comics/movies/cartoons use different scales, true, but if you have a preference towards one form of media, it's easy to figure out a rough scale to work from and if everything. Everyone has a scale preference they prefer, mine's G1 cartoon based.

Don't make me sound like I'm against scale when I openly appreciate Siege taking us in the direction of an actual scale. Especially when you can't wrap your head around what scale actually means. Scale isn't this toy is tiny and that one is huge. I also am aware that scaling won't be perfect, but it looks like they are trying to get it right this time. Hell as a Marvel Legend collector I fully understand how frustrating scale can be due to the fact that any panel you can find to verify a character's size, there are probably 2 panels that contradict it.
BludChylde is offline   Reply With Quote