Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 07-03-2014, 12:17 AM   #231
prime
Generation 2
Re: !!!SPOILERS - TF4 AOE Movie Discussion - SPOILERS!!!

Wow, so many discussions going at once!

Don't know why the Tessa/age thing is an issue. First the actress is 19, so you can feel "clean" watching the movie. Second, if the age that she portrays onscreen is the issue, Fox was also portrayed as a high-schooler, and it felt that she was shown in a more provocative light (the check engine scene), including the jokes ("The Boy's Pheromone Levels Suggests He Wants To Mate..."). Yet I don't remember it being an issue back then, so why now?

Drift/Racism... wow. I'm just happy that Japan even got a mention in the movie, since they haven't been referred to at all since Sam's "It's probably Japanese" quote. It was frustrating hearing references to the "world's largest city", which is Tokyo, not Beijing/Hong Kong. And while I'm sure Bay has contracts with car makers, it would have been nice to see Drift scanned as a Japanese car. It would have fit with the story (why is a TF interested in Japanese culture using a French car?), and how appropriate/cool would it be if he was a GTS?

For being a major selling point, they could have developed the Dinobots a little bit more. At least give them some lines. How many of us were waiting for a "Me Grimlock..." line or anything to do with Petro-Rabbits?

Lastly, they need to ease on the product placements. Seriously, it was distracting. I can understand the cars, but from Soy milk to Victoria Secret to Gucci to the Pill... it was just overkill. All that was missing was Prime picking up some fast food again.
prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:32 AM   #232
protoform_ironhide
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by prime View Post
Lastly, they need to ease on the product placements. Seriously, it was distracting. I can understand the cars, but from Soy milk to Victoria Secret to Gucci to the Pill... it was just overkill. All that was missing was Prime picking up some fast food again.
I don't care much or pay attention to the humans in the movie, other than the part where Mark Walberg jumping around outside the condos being chase down by the CIA, that part is crazy! That's one of the best part in the movie.

I think they kinda done that with Marvel Avengers too on the "product placements" that you have mention. No one really complain about that, because Avengers was such a good movie. Avengers is way better than AOE.. they really need a new director for Transformers 5.
protoform_ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:40 AM   #233
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by protoform_ironhide View Post
I don't care much or pay attention to the humans in the movie, other than the part where Mark Walberg jumping around outside the condos being chase down by the CIA, that part is crazy! That's one of the best part in the movie.

I think they kinda done that with Marvel Avengers too on the "product placements" that you have mention. No one really complain about that, because Avengers was such a good movie. Avengers is way better than AOE.. they really need a new director for Transformers 5.
I don't think a new director would be a wise idea. That director would take an even far away direction that AOE set up, he'd have his own views, own ways of doing things. If they wanted a new director, they should of done it with the 4th which was suppose to set up a new trilogy and at least it would be a fluid motion throughout.

As soon as we hit 100 likes we will be having a sale!

Knockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:57 AM   #234
transforminator
Destroyer

Personally, considering the situation and how humans were treating autobots, Prime's murderous attitude is completely justified in this movie. It was definitely out of character in the third one, but there's grounds in this one.

In fact, in terms of character development, Optimus had a really good arc. I enjoyed the relationship between Mark Wahlberg's character and Optimus but the dialogue needed improvement. Case in point is when Wahlberg is assuring Prime that he needs to have faith in humanity again....brilliant setup with sloppy dialogue.

Plus, how cool was Optimus' alt mode change while driving!?
Old 07-03-2014, 01:20 AM   #235
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshimus View Post
I hated the twins too, but I still think the "racist" card is far overblown, especially when plenty of other movies are just as bad with certain characters...but they don't have Bay's name on the credits, so it's ok.
I agree, but tons of people don't. I can see the criticism of Skids & Mudflap though because it was leaning more towards a negative stereotype. Hell, white guys act like that too, but anyway

Drift is just a bad ass Transformer with a Japanese accent. Crosshairs's is Australian I think - And of course Prime & Hound are American. It is a real stretch to even try and tie bad intentions to the characters.

To me it would be actually racist to decide that a Japanese voice actor can't do a Transformers voice. What kind of message would that send?

Main difference between Drift and the Twins are that Drift isn't a clown and the Twins were.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:27 AM   #236
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

If you're fighting in the middle of downtown anywhere you're going to get product placement, it's how our world works so yeah, expect it in the movies based in 'reality'.

On top of that why are we complaining about a milk drinking scene as product placement? I didn't even know what the hell the dude was drinking, all I saw was a comedy beat during a huge action scene, nothing more. On top of that, what are you likely to find in a Chinese fridge that wouldn't be out of place for him to grab?

And come on, the Gucci glasses or the 'pill' makes you upset due to product placement? They're just part of random scenes to help pay for the production.

At this point I think I'm more desensitized to product placement in films, it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it seems to bother some people. It isn't like every ten minutes we see some random dude shaving with the new Gillete Fusion while his girlfriend is in the shower using Head & Shoulders. (Or Boyfriend/Dove's Men Care Body Lotion).

In a movie about giant alien robots coming to Earth there are three major things to accept.

1) Explosions, Battles, Massive Action Scenes and Transformations.

2) Barely holding onto continuity between films due to Saturday Morning Cartoon Syndrome.

and

3) In our world we have products all around us all the time, I reach into the fridge for a coke and I'll find it there with more in the pantry waiting to cool down. Nintendo and Hasbro products are in my bedroom, plus Samsung and Dell and all that other fun shit. If someone was filming ordinary life happening scenes during an action movie, what would you rather see? Something potentially found in your home or neighbourhood, or some random made up piece of crap like Acme Anvilles?

I mean the damn product stuff in the movie didn't even get noticed by me for half the stuff until complainers pointed out how much they hated it. And I still didn't get the 'milk' thing until yesterday when I finally realised what scene everyone was complaining about.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:16 AM   #237
steamwhistle
Crossover

Well, considering that this movie, in itself, is a product placement, I don't believe that complaining about product placement is truly justified. We have all already bought into it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Feedback thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=steamwhistle
steamwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:27 AM   #238
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper6 View Post
On top of that why are we complaining about a milk drinking scene as product placement? I didn't even know what the hell the dude was drinking, all I saw was a comedy beat during a huge action scene, nothing more. On top of that, what are you likely to find in a Chinese fridge that wouldn't be out of place for him to grab?
That's because you probably don't read Chinese.
For people like me, it's very obvious and I can recongized it right away. However I don't really feel offended by it. It's not a big deal for me, as long as I have a decent TF movie to watch, I'm fine with it.

In case you didn't know, it's the same milk from DOTM as well.
Click image for larger version

Name:	index.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	24031

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #239
Marcotron
Robot Master

So here's one of my main issues with this film. The transformations were bad. How many times did they have a car transform into a robot, and require it to do some kind of spin move so that you can't tell where limbs and stuff are even coming from? When bumblebee transforms in the KSI lab, does he really have to spin himself around to look cool?
On top of that, the man-made robots (I can't call them transformers) that change form through a tornado of cubes, while it may look cool, isn't what a transformer is supposed to be. I accept that the humans can figure out how to make their own robots by figuring out the badly named metal, but did they also conquer gravity as well?
Marcotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #240
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcotron View Post
So here's one of my main issues with this film. The transformations were bad. How many times did they have a car transform into a robot, and require it to do some kind of spin move so that you can't tell where limbs and stuff are even coming from? When bumblebee transforms in the KSI lab, does he really have to spin himself around to look cool?
On top of that, the man-made robots (I can't call them transformers) that change form through a tornado of cubes, while it may look cool, isn't what a transformer is supposed to be. I accept that the humans can figure out how to make their own robots by figuring out the badly named metal, but did they also conquer gravity as well?
I think it might relate to budget. I remember AOE's budget is lower than DOTM or ROTF.

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote