Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Collections Spotlight

Old 11-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
gagagalvatron
Half psychotic
gagagalvatron's nerd cave of wonders

Video tour of my nerd cave:

http://youtu.be/i8F1VpMMADQ

Finally got all the display risers made (as mentioned in this thread) and everything (more or less) put into place. I should probably do pictures, but the room tends to be dark and doesn't lend itself well.

Apologies for the camera's Extreme Ceiling Shot about 3/4 of the way through -- I was holding an older camcorder that had a better light source, and it was about to time out.
gagagalvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
Gaetznes
Cassetticon
Re: gagagalvatron's nerd cave of wonders

Impressive......
Old 11-12-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
Nomad
Airachnid's ratservant
Send a message via AIM to Nomad Send a message via MSN to Nomad

See, this is what I need. Not so much moar transformers, but a better means of displaying them.

... not like I'd argue with having more toys, but you know. Speaking of which, how much are those tall/narrow glass cases anyway? I know they vary & that its prolly been answered 500 times elsewhere, but it seemed like something worth asking anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvoyGTR View Post
"they're all gone, vultures everywhere"
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
bedtime
Nexus Maximus

NICE room. i one day hope my wife will allow me a room where i may set crap up like that. if you've got a wife, you are a lucky man (at least in that regard )

i'm @bedtime_ on twitter.
bedtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
See, this is what I need. Not so much moar transformers, but a better means of displaying them.

... not like I'd argue with having more toys, but you know. Speaking of which, how much are those tall/narrow glass cases anyway? I know they vary & that its prolly been answered 500 times elsewhere, but it seemed like something worth asking anyway.
The Ikea detolfs sell for about $79.99.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10011055/

Also popular are the Billy Bookcases, which will cost you $69.99 each, plus $60 each door for the two glass doors.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/83688210/

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!

Last edited by Bruticus82; 11-12-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
gagagalvatron
Half psychotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaetz View Post
Impressive......
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
And thanks for that. I worry that it's too busy. But I do know where everything is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedtime View Post
NICE room. i one day hope my wife will allow me a room where i may set crap up like that. if you've got a wife, you are a lucky man (at least in that regard )
I have a husband, but yeah, I'm lucky. It works out well for him, too, though. I sold him on the concept of having a dedicated room in the basement because that way they'd all be contained. Close the door and you'd never need to see it. He doesn't have to find TFs sprouting out of the woodwork or spreading like fungus and I have my own space. Win win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruticus82 View Post
The Ikea detolfs sell for about $79.99.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10011055/
Those are Detolfs in the video. They are great cases. You might also check Kijiji -- I found a Detolf for $75 in my city, and another kind that was just a little too far away.

The black plastic shelving I used came from Costco and were $30 apiece. It's modular, which was perfect because the wall they're on has a low ceiling. I left one level off each shelf unit, which I then combined to make the small unit holding the DVDs and other stuff on the side of the room. They are not as nice as glass shelving, but they do get the job done.

I built the unit that holds my Alternators, big guys, and headmasters/targetmasters/combiners. I kept going back and forth wanting glass shelves and then one day I noticed a neighbor had thrown out three (what I'm guessing are) freezer shelves. They were cased in metal (which had corroded) but the glass was fine. I considered putting them right on the wall like floating shelves, but I wanted something freestanding since I knew we probably wouldn't be staying in this house for too many years.

It's just a few ticks above Homer Simpson levels of construction, but it gets the job done. The sides fade into the walls because they're painted the same color, and the stripes on the glass are pretty neat -- I knew the Alternators were going to end up there. Total cost was less than $30.
gagagalvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #7
Nomad
Airachnid's ratservant
Send a message via AIM to Nomad Send a message via MSN to Nomad

Thanks guys. Also, I think Gaetz just convinced me to buy one of those cases in the morning, only to have me spend all my money on more toys. Guess they'll have to live on my desk for now. heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvoyGTR View Post
"they're all gone, vultures everywhere"
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:24 PM   #8
bedtime
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagagalvatron View Post
I have a husband, but yeah, I'm lucky. It works out well for him, too, though. I sold him on the concept of having a dedicated room in the basement because that way they'd all be contained. Close the door and you'd never need to see it. He doesn't have to find TFs sprouting out of the woodwork or spreading like fungus and I have my own space. Win win.
ahh fuck me and my assumptions. i just got married myself and just got used to throwing the word wife around. my apologies! but yes, one day i too hope to own a house and when the time comes i think presenting the same idea may just work for me too.

i'm @bedtime_ on twitter.
bedtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
Dragon Knight
Geass'd

The Ikea Detolfs are expensive, but worth it. There's something about looking at toys through a class case that makes them feel more special.

I really should think about buying a new one, because the one I'm using right now is nearly full.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #10
Akroyer
Nexus Maximus

Looks good to me. I wish we had an extra room so it could be toys only.

Akroyer is offline   Reply With Quote