Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 05-25-2015, 06:31 PM   #1
Xtreme987
Metroplex
TF Hunts - What makes them so fun ?

I guess sometimes if you can't find anything they might be more of a pain then fun.

Anyway for me it's the element of surprise. You just never know what your going to find on the pegs & shelves.

I want to hear from you all. Why are TF hunts so much fun for you (or not) ?

Last edited by Xtreme987; 05-25-2015 at 06:59 PM.
Xtreme987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:37 PM   #2
sarmick01
Canadian Slag
Re: TF Hunts - What makes them so fun ?

They aren't for me. I get frustrated when I go and still the same old stuff.
sarmick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:42 PM   #3
Tonestar
Star Seeker

That's the thing about hunts...most of the time you're not successful. It's the few times that you find what you're looking for out there that make it worth while. At least, that's the way it is for me. I am still checking Winners and Marshalls stores for a $19.99 AOE Leader Optimus. Seen a few of Grimmys just no Primes yet and so I continue.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:25 PM   #4
Vorahk
Energon

Let me tell you a story. It was the age of the first live action movie. That 2007 camero bee was going for like 100 dollars. I was wanting to find dropkick so I planned a entire night of looking. First my plan called me to go to both zellars on the east side of town, hit up the walmarts and then finish at the last zellars on the west side. First zellars I went to had both that bee and dropkick so I had nothing to do for the rest of the night. I was actually bummed out for the rest of the night cause I found them first go. I like going to multiple places to find what I'm looking for but if I can't find anything I feel like I wasted time.
Vorahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:26 PM   #5
elburrito
Animated

Getting out of the house. Away from the spouse and kids. The joyful exuberance of finding what you wanted or finding something else that you didn't know you wanted until you saw it.

The drive-thru meal you ate in the car in between stores.

There are many things to love about transformer hunts.

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:33 PM   #6
The7thParallel
Nexus Maximus

I came across a Revenge of the Fallen Bruticus set for $10 at a Zellers that was in the final day of liquidation. It was found on the floor or behind a shelving unit or something.

'Twas glorious.
The7thParallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:55 PM   #7
Mega-Prime 316
Cybertron

When I first started collecting, I was all about the hunt. I would plan how I was going to travel from store to store so I could hit em all and not have to double back. Basically make a big loop around the city. Then as time went on I began to get frustrated with empty hunts, so began the online shopping with Automaton and BBTS. Now the transformers I want come to me.
Mega-Prime 316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:58 PM   #8
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..

It's the surgical strike. It starts (typically) with a US sighting. You know it's possibly a couple weeks away--but you still don't go to retail. Then you end up seeing a few people spot a figure on the boards, so you know there's at least a few days to wait...then, you start hitting the stores, you start with the ones you know stock efficiently...you hit them earliest. Still nada...You keep an eye on other sightings in your area...you hope someone else spots them but at the same time you want to be first...still nada

Then, one day, you just say "why not, I'm going to try this store instead" and BOOSH, there's the figure your looking for.

Like others have said, you can't have the satisfaction of the hunt without the failures.

That said, I don't think I'd enjoy this part of the hobby AT ALL without:

1. Knowing "roughly" when Hasbro is releasing
2. Knowing "approximately" where it's showing up in the USA and worldwide
3. Knowing "reasonably" when the item is in Canada
4. Knowing "with reasonable certainty" it's in my area--which is why the sightings board RAWK ... they would SUCK without all you guys participating!!!
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:01 PM   #9
Xtreme987
Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega-Prime 316 View Post
When I first started collecting, I was all about the hunt. I would plan how I was going to travel from store to store so I could hit em all and not have to double back. Basically make a big loop around the city. Then as time went on I began to get frustrated with empty hunts, so began the online shopping with Automaton and BBTS. Now the transformers I want come to me.
Ya I try to do the same. I try to order most of mine online but the thrill of the hunt runs deep in my veins so I end up doing both. Cue OP Laugh - Muh Hah Hah.
Xtreme987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:28 PM   #10
Deception
Crossover

if you've ever played diablo 2 or 3 its the same feeling you get when you find a legendary item
Deception is offline   Reply With Quote