Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 05-28-2015, 01:55 PM   #31
timcrook
Cybertron
Re: TF Hunts - What makes them so fun ?

I know sometimes it is frustrating when you end up empty handed after a toy hunt but finding stuff on the first try isn't fun either.

Yesterday I saw someone mention in the BC sightings thread they saw combiner wars wave 3 voyagers at tru. I happened to be at a3u to buy toyworld orionvil and I saw hotspot and cyclonus.

On my first try I found them locally. I didn't pick them up cause it felt too easy. I felt like one of those pro fishermen that catch and release Hahaha.

Yeah I'll be wasting gas to get them later but I just consider that the price of admission for this thrill ride I enjoy.
timcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:03 PM   #32
positivelyken
One Man Gestalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcrook View Post
I know sometimes it is frustrating when you end up empty handed after a toy hunt but finding stuff on the first try isn't fun either.

Yesterday I saw someone mention in the BC sightings thread they saw combiner wars wave 3 voyagers at tru. I happened to be at a3u to buy toyworld orionvil and I saw hotspot and cyclonus.

On my first try I found them locally. I didn't pick them up cause it felt too easy. I felt like one of those pro fishermen that catch and release Hahaha.

Yeah I'll be wasting gas to get them later but I just consider that the price of admission for this thrill ride I enjoy.
This is clearly English and yet I don't understand any of it.
positivelyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:24 PM   #33
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by positivelyken View Post
Lol

What he's getting at is, the hunt Is half the fun! I enjoy the hunt too.

Find what you're looking for and it's like winning the lottery, ok maybe not, more like 21 in Blackjack
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:28 PM   #34
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULTIPLEX View Post
Find what you're looking for and it's like winning the lottery, ok maybe not, more like 21 in Blackjack
Actually it is more like the bottle pointing to a butterface rather than a dude as you're playing spin the bottle.

Even in a hollow victory there is still defeat .

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:26 PM   #35
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcrook View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by positivelyken View Post
This ↑↑↑↑

I don't know why, but reading this made me really angry!

Dude, I'm all for the hunt, but if you happen to stumble upon something you want, and you have the means, GET IT!!! Because you never know when or IF you'll ever see it again.

This is like a treasure hunter falling through a hole and landing in the middle of King Solomon's Mines, but then deciding not to report or claim it because the way he found it was "too easy".

Your fishing metaphor doesn't even make sense! They don't catch & release because it was "too easy", they do it because they just enjoy the "hunt". So if you went out looking for stuff, found it, and then NEVER bought it, then your metaphor would make sense.

Just clicking and buying online is the very definition of "too easy". Because it's not hunting.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:42 PM   #36
The 12th Prime
Lost count, long time ago
The 12th Prime's Ebay Auctions

The last time I enjoyed "hunting" and considered it fun was when there was TF Prime Cyberverse Vehicons at Dollarama for $3 each, I'd say that was the last time I went out of my way for something I wanted and enjoyed getting it. Plus hunting for the Kreo mini fig's was fun until it was killed with this new abomination.

The hunt isn't what it use to be with MP's and Independent Party offerings and most of it being available online or "through a guy" Also my penchant for import offerings leaves domestic hunting a little dry for me except for the oddball CW characters like Alpha Bravo, Offroad and soon Rook. I've had enough of the movie stuff for the most part outside of new characters, most times I'll check out the toy aisle while out shopping or somewhere to go when I'm with my son but not really going out of my way much.

These days I like going to out of the way shops and places to see TF's. There's a couple of vintage shops in town here that have older TF's so it's nice to backtrack a little and see if there's anything older I might find cool, interesting, passed or missed and pick up.
The 12th Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:24 PM   #37
Grimtron
Generation 2

What makes the hunt fun is when you tell future generations or your children about the great hunt for MotorMaster! Lol.

Honestly, the hunt is all about the thrill of victory when you find that figure that is so rare or hardly in stock. It does have it sad times when you can't find anything no matter how far and wide you look.
Grimtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:59 PM   #38
Prime Sinister
Animated

The recent Motormaster hunt was fun but some what pointless. We knew more would be shipped out, clog shelves and then go on sale but we all wanted a piece of the limited initial run to complete Menasor first.
Prime Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:40 AM   #39
CanBot
Cybertron

I have to admit the thrill of finding stuff on the shelves is great. But when you can't find what you're looking for?...then it just adds to frustration and cost when you have to use other means.

What this means to me is I order stuff online, but still pick up things at Walmart when I find them. I tend to leave them in boxes so I can either return them when the shipment comes in, or just keep them for trading. That's the concept, anyway.

The first thing I couldn't find locally was movie Leader Sentinel Prime. I ended up getting him through a deal here. He's...not my favorite so in the end, it was probably for the best.

Combiner Wars has been a lot of fun but still tricky. I'm just not used to 'not' finding stuff from these types of lines on shelves.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:17 AM   #40
Prime Sinister
Animated

What also adds to the fun of the hunt is the timing of the Toys R Us sale at the time. I recall racing against fellow collectors to beat them to the last Hasbro MP Grimlock or recently to the last Combiner Wars deluxes.
Prime Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote