Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2009, 03:59 AM   #1
Sokar
Armada
Laptop batteries in calgary?

Anyone out there know some good places to buy laptop batteries here in calgary or even on the internet?

I'm looking to buy an extended life battery for my netbook, but have had some poor luck in my searches. I've seen one for 130$ at memory express that is rated for 6 hours, but I'm still looking around. I've seen some listed at laptopcharge.com that are 9 hour batteries for around 60$, and there are a couple other sites with prices ranging from 60-130$, but I've heard that a lot of these are 3rd party batteries that can cause issues (from the 'this battery charge lasts no time at all' to the laptops exploding and catching on fire kind)

Anyone else here gone searching for laptop batteries before?
Old 09-13-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
Phalanx
Generation 2
Re: Laptop batteries in calgary?

No idea about Calgary... O.o I bought a 12-cell battery for my Compaq on eBay for $90ish (it was a couple of years ago, so I don't remember the exact price now, just that it was far, far cheaper than what HP wanted for a new battery)
Phalanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokar View Post
...but I've heard that a lot of these are 3rd party batteries that can cause issues (from the 'this battery charge lasts no time at all' to the laptops exploding and catching on fire kind)
Well they are all made in China and even the brand name ones can have issues.

I got my 6 cells MSI Wind netbook Li-on from a seller on eBay. First one didn't even charge but the seller sent me a new one immediately right after I complaint. They didn't even want me to send back the old one... I guess they were too cheaply made they don't even care? Second one works fine. Didn't catch fire, explode or anything. It might have lost a little bit of charge since I got it >8 months ago. On the other hand, it is a lot cheaper than the one from MSI for sure...

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
Sokar
Armada

I don't think it's so much an issue of where they are made, but what quality control measures they have to pass before a company will stick it's logo on it.

thanks to both of you for your input though. perhaps ebay is one way to go. Although I have been looking at this battery: I've got one of the aspire one netbooks and while mine is black/blue the white battery is 7200 mah as opposed to the same priced black one at 6600 mah.

http://www.laptopcharge.com/category...ac210xxwh.aspx
Old 09-15-2009, 07:36 AM   #5
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokar View Post
I don't think it's so much an issue of where they are made, but what quality control measures they have to pass before a company will stick it's logo on it.
The eBay seller I mentioned just used me as the quality assurance person but at least they promptly sent me a replacement.

I agree with QC is important and where it is made is not relevance. But with PC and accessories prices @ such low prices I doubt even those big names have done proper QC or can enforce proper QC on their OEM partners. I guess that's why once in a while Li-on from major brands get the headlines...

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote