Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-05-2007, 03:57 PM   #1
devilsknight
Banned
Claiming customs marked as gift

I got my BBTS shipment today and I got nailed for customs. Now it is marked as a gift, I am trying to remember someone here mentioned when it's marked as a gift you can claim it back.

How do I do this ? If someone who has done before can help that would be great.

Thanks !
devilsknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
Tech Spec
Canadian Slag
Re: Claiming customs marked as gift

I would like to know too, everytime I get a package from them the same thing happens
Tech Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:45 PM   #3
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

I'd love to know as well.

As far as I know customs is totally random in when they charge (this is from a Canada Post employee). It does not really matter if it is a gift or not. Excluding the BS "Handling Charge" of $5, they are basically only charging the GST that you would have been nailed on anyway.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:07 PM   #4
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

I think that customs are on to the 'gift' thing from BBTS. The last 3 packages that I have recived from them have been picked...
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:08 PM   #5
pandaprime
aficionado!

I received three(3) packages from BBTS last month and the fee I had to pay was okay. Just the "handling charge plus gst" for me. no additional costs...

I guess the packages/labelling look too commercial/professional?

Feedback thread:Cybertron.ca
Items for sale thread: Selling TFs
pandaprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:22 PM   #6
rid
Beast Machine

This is a very common misconception that keeps getting passed on from people to people.

As stated by the Canada Border Service Agency website, a gift is only excempt of duty only if it is below $60cad. Anything above that amount is subject to duty regardless if it is a gift or not. Not to mention that a "gift" from a store is highly suspicious...

I wish people would stop getting false expectations of not getting dutied because the package is marked a "gift"...

Last edited by rid; 09-05-2007 at 06:48 PM.
rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:20 AM   #7
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

Quote:
Originally Posted by rid View Post
This is a very common misconception that keeps getting passed on from people to people.

As stated by the Canada Border Service Agency website, a gift is only excempt of duty only if it is below $60cad. Anything above that amount is subject to duty regardless if it is a gift or not. Not to mention that a "gift" from a store is highly suspicious...

I wish people would stop getting false expectations of not getting dutied because the package is marked a "gift"...
Ok, I've goten a gift from another member on TFW declared at $40 US and I was charged taxes, am I elgible for a reimbursement?

What if you've got a large amount of items that's totaled over $60 Cdn funds? Are you subject to taxes of the total value of the items minus the $60 Cdn? I am curious because of my own BBTS pile of loot. Thanks rid.
Dark Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:33 AM   #8
soundwaveCA
Retired TF Fan

Well for reimbursement usually you would just mail back the slip they give you off the customs form when you go to pay it off. Honestly though customs charges are not worth fighting because there really is no way to fight these people. I tried doing it a couple of times and unless the charges seem really outrageous (as far beyond GST & PST) they will deny it every time.

It also does not matter if it's declared as a gift or not, in reality it has nothing to do with a package getting hit up for charges or not. From what I hear, and this is on very good authority from both Canada Post and Customs, is that all they look at is the declared value of the package. I don't know what the exact "official" amount that is exempt, like rid pointed out there site says $60 but I find this number will vary considerably with every person you talk to. For example I've heard from customs directly $60 and $35, and also a couple of times that toys should be exempt completely from charges. At any rate the magic mark I've been told is $25 CAD. Anything over this apparently is fair game, but 99.9% of the time anything declared $25 or under is automatically passed over, wile anything above is just picked out at random (again gift or no gift). It will also vary on were you live as people in the West seem to get hit up a heck of a lot more then people in the East.

Anyway the short version is if your hit up you just have to bite the bullet, but the best advice is get the person on the other end to mark it under $25 as from what people have told me and from experience this is the closest way of beating the system.

Last edited by soundwaveCA; 09-06-2007 at 01:41 AM.
soundwaveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:01 AM   #9
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

Thanks for the info guys!

Now to see if we can get the online toy stores on board...
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:11 AM   #10
rid
Beast Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_rage View Post
What if you've got a large amount of items that's totaled over $60 Cdn funds? Are you subject to taxes of the total value of the items minus the $60 Cdn?
That's correct. If your package is worth, say, $150 then you will have to pay GST+PST for $90. That is $150-$60.

The link I provided above talks about this as well.
rid is offline   Reply With Quote