Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 05-25-2007, 06:22 PM   #11
Tech Spec
Canadian Slag
Re: Rant time - Fewer people shipping to Canada

If you can get a tracking number and you can get the shipper to declare it as a $20 gift, it should be all good.
Tech Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:59 PM   #12
Covain
Beasty

There are a ton of options that are available but more sellers are just shutting the door all together. And don't get me started on some of the shipping quotes I get sometimes. I was told yesterday that it would cost $30 to ship a Classics Devastator to me. $30 . That's nuts. To be fair however the rate calculator used by the post office and eBay is out-to-lunch. Oh well, we can just wait for the exsclusives to come up here like they always do and buy them in our local stores . Exscuse me while I beat my head on the keyboard.

vvbnvnvmbnmvgcbv,hjvbnhyvbcnbn vbnbnm,
Covain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:00 PM   #13
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KG- View Post
It's almost at the point where it's not worth buying anything from the US. You have to pay for the item, then a lot of time they want you to pay $20 or more for shipping, then you have to deal with custom charges. This year I've had to pay $70, $35, and $25 customs charges. Unless I get a real deal I've stopped buying anything from outside of Canada.

Depending on the seller, they can mark the item as a gift and declare the value as 20 bucks. It will come quicker and you will not have to pay the custom charges.

This could affect the insurance if any, but depending on the item it may be cheaper for you in the long run.

As a side note I have never had a seller who would not send to Canada. They may say so, but just ask the question and they will usually say yes...
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:04 PM   #14
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
Depending on the seller, they can mark the item as a gift and declare the value as 20 bucks. It will come quicker and you will not have to pay the custom charges.
This is not always the case. I got custom charges once for a small ticket item (under $20 and a "gift"). I asked the postie about it, and she said it is honestly totally random which packages they choose for charges. It does not happen often, but it does happen.

Last edited by jourdo; 05-25-2007 at 11:39 PM.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:24 PM   #15
agesthreeandup
Energon Supplier

I have had many packages come in through Canada Post marked at several hundred dollars and not been dinged by them and other times I have. There does not seem to be a whole lot of rhyme or reason for Canada Posts customs charges.

And the $5! WTF? For printing a piece of paper? Come on. That is BS.

Spencer.
agesthreeandup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:33 PM   #16
Team Jetfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdo View Post
This is not always the case. I got sutom charges once for a small ticket item (under $20 and a "gift"). I asked the postie about it, and she said it is honestly totally random which packages they choose for charges. It does not happen often, but it does happen.
That makes sense. My wife just got a new hair straightener from ebay. Seller marked it as a "gift" and value of $5 and they still opened it up, gave it some perceived value of 40 bucks and charged us gst.

I thought it was because it said it was a hair straightener and it had a higher value.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:38 PM   #17
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

Quote:
Originally Posted by agesthreeandup View Post
And the $5! WTF? For printing a piece of paper? Come on. That is BS.
No... that is for them to physically pick-up/kick your package over to the table. Print off a piece of paper. Place said piece of paper on your package.

Come on Spencer, you as a business owner should know this kind of labour is costly. Isn't $5 really a small price to pay to ensure our borders are properly protected by the fine civil servants at Canada Post?

O-O-O-R-R-R...

it is totally BS... Kind of on the fence with this one.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 01:01 AM   #18
Team Jetfire

:lol
Old 05-26-2007, 01:10 AM   #19
agesthreeandup
Energon Supplier

I kind of figure it is a thing that when Canada Post does not 'make enough' in a day they just open a few parcels and charge the $5 fee to make up for the days losses.

Spencer - wishes I could charge a random fee to make up for crappy sales days.
agesthreeandup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 01:55 AM   #20
Synch
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdo View Post
No... that is for them to physically pick-up/kick your package over to the table. Print off a piece of paper. Place said piece of paper on your package.

Come on Spencer, you as a business owner should know this kind of labour is costly. Isn't $5 really a small price to pay to ensure our borders are properly protected by the fine civil servants at Canada Post?

O-O-O-R-R-R...

it is totally BS... Kind of on the fence with this one.
Pfttt.... I'm gona go with what ages said on this one

Whats worse is when you buy from someone locally and it takes HALF a month ++ to get to you?.. GRRR I brought some HC off a guy on ebay in vancouver & still have not brought it ... NOT VERY HAPPY!
Synch is offline   Reply With Quote