Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 03-13-2014, 05:40 AM   #1
Slave
Energon
Slave's Ebay Auctions
Thumbs up DMY Studios D-02 Arial Team Add-On Upgrade Kit for Superion - Review

DMY Studios D-02 Arial Team Add-On Upgrade Kit Review

So I personally didnt think I needed an Upgrade kit to my Already Upgraded Superion. DMY came along and showed me that I needed this upgrade badly.

Video Review is right here: http://youtu.be/lLzqYE7-HQ4

Let's get this clear: For DMY's D-02 kit to work completely, you are Required to have first the superion team... obviously, but then you also need the Superion Aerial Team Appendage Add-on kit made by Fansproject.

Now that this is out of the way, let us proceed to the box:

There's nothing much to it, nice sketch on it of Superion all upgraded... nothing else to see other than warning labels in the back... shown in the vid is the oddity of the inside of the box which seems to be Misprinted version of the outside of the box... odd... but its ok, we dont really care about this.

First of with the content of the box is that there is NO instructions. There is assembly & disassembly to be done... and screws to replace... I'm not too comfortable doing all this, but I think I managed pretty good and manage to pull everything off correctly.

Inside the box we get:

1 Waist piece
2 inside thighs connectors
2 golden antennas (which are in 4 pieces)
2 soles
2 replacement "ears"; 1 wide and 1 "slim"
2 forearms connectors
1 Black round thing connector
8 long screws

Oh and you get 1 sheet that shows the complete robot, with the parts on it, Jet modes with extra parts on them, and a close up of the head with both different "ears & antennas" on them.

Assembly took me about 30-40min of fiddling and figurind stuff out.

Things I figured out:
-The extra soles goes OVER the Fansproject ones... you dont replace the FP soles, you just remove the screws, put the thicker sole over the FP one and insert the longer screw to make everything old together
-You get to choose whether you want the Wide ears or slimmer one before installing your chosen set-up... I chose the wide one. I think it looks good.
-One of my arm connector was missing the Hexagon connector and it was in the forearm... In the video I felt awkward missing the connector then finding it inside the arm... but once connected it was alright.
-The black round thing connector: its used ONLY for jet modes if you want to connect the waist on top of Silverbolt.
-The golden antennas are FRIGGIN' HARD to install, and I broke mine.. in the video you can notice one of the antenna is loose... well it was actually broken and was holding by friction... its ok I super glued it and it's perfect now. I dont plan on changing it so Super glue it is.

Once all of the above is taken into consideration, it's smooth sailing.

I cover in the video the parts onto the jet modes... personally i think its tacky and useless, the waist part on top of silverbolt look awful at best. The arms connectors are ok, and looks like missile pods with a mounted lazer gun. as for the thicker boots they looks like HUGE floaters once you connect them on either Skydive or Fireflight. But I really dont care much for the Jet modes... this kit is for improving the Combiner form so lets get to this.

Transformation... Combining the parts onto Superion is GREAT. The waist part REALLY adds a lot to the figure... it add MUCH NEEDED stability, it plugs in perfectly and hold pretty tight. It uses Silverbolt's screw holes and peg holes that werent really used to get hold onto and everything about it feels natural, even when I first installed it, it felt like I did this a dozen of time. After is the Thighs connector which gives 1 or 2cm taller to Superion, and they also do an amazing thing: it covers the hollow leg syndrome... AMAZING! Although Superion didnt have a major problem with the hollow legs, those connector fills all the inside of the legs, and holds the leg perfectly. I used to have a little problem with my Superion's leg where they were a bit loose... this kit fixed that problem perfectly.

The arms connector are plain GREAT. I LOVED the Fansproject M3 (Diesel)'s Arms connector, there's piston visual and makes the arms wider and much more articulated. DMY's D-02 is exactly the same, except the connectors deploys and gives way to much more range of movement and stability. Those connectors are the reason why I bought DMY's D-02. I loved the look and wanted my Superion with wider shoulder, I thought it made Superion looked more bad-ass. And I'm not disapointed. They also manage to Not uses the legs of Airaid or Slingshot as the forearms. Both of which were loose on my figure so I was quite happy to see that the connector had its own forearm. It looks super great, the articulation is thight, the whole set is worth for those piece alone.

My gripe with this set is that the connectors, all of them, are SUPER TIGHT... I struggle a lot in the video to connect arms, legs, and specialy the hands. I read reports that a lot of people had to shave the inside of the forearms in order to connect the hands... and I was about to do the same but I finally managed to insert the hands in the forearms. Unfortunately, After the hands were inserted, I noticed little stretched marks on the forearms due to the hand connector. Still even the shoulder connectors & thighs connectors are super tight. At least they hold pretty solid and I'm not afraid for it to fall off.

Once Full assembled, Superion does feel... Superior. I didnt know my Superion needed another add-on kit, and I friggin' love it. Totally not regretting getting this set.

Pros:
+Complete assembled Superion is So much better than it was even with Fansproject's kit on it.
+Arms connectors provide Better support, better articulation, wider arms.
+waist piece holds the figure and gives it much support and fills the empty stomach perfectly
+Inside thighs fills in the hollow leg syndrome makes Superion taller

Cons:
-No instructions
-Antenna piece that broke off, super hard to install
-I dont get why we needed thicker boots
-Ear replacement piece... I liked the original soft rubber ones... why provide 2 other sets is a mystery.
-Placing the pieces on the Jet modes looks half assed... Sure you can place them "there"... it looks goofy but... y'know... they can be used in Jet modes.

I do recommend this kit if you already have Both Superion & Fansproject's kit... it improves Superion greatly... I didn't know I needed this kit before I had it in my hands. You probably need it also... it's just you don't know it yet.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #2
dingd0ng
Nexus Maximus
Re: DMY Studios D-02 Arial Team Add-On Upgrade Kit for Superion - Review

oh great review, I am getting a loose set of Superion Maximus and planning to buy both the FP and the DMY set. Looks good, will need your video when I get my copy.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:32 AM   #3
Longshot
Pretender

Looks great!
Longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
Dangard Ace
Alternator

Looks good! Any Cdn retailer selling this?
Dangard Ace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
STI 2NV
Energon

I was not able for the life of me to get the arms to connect to the main body no matter how hard I pushed. How I ended up getting it to work was I took the arms and plugged them into the leg extension pieces the set came with and that seemed to give them that first time break in they needed.

After that they plugged into silverbolt first try.
STI 2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:52 PM   #6
Commandoclone87
Seeker

Pre-ordered this from TFSource as soon as I saw it go up.

Arms are a major improvement. Especially where he now has full shoulder articulation back.

Commandoclone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:47 PM   #7
Dangard Ace
Alternator

Picked up this set because of this review and I couldn't be happier. My god this connectors are tight as hell and I'm probably going to sand down the inside forearms abit but Superion feels so solid now.

What I don't like are those tiny wings inside the legs thingys. Those keep popping off.
Dangard Ace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:55 PM   #8
Slave
Energon
Slave's Ebay Auctions

yup the tiny wings are only there for the vehicle mode once its tacked over silverbolt... which looks horrible imo...

I didn't need to sand the connectors though, you just push while twisting and it goes in great and its solid. I figured it out in the video.

Tags
d-02, dmy, kit, review, superion