Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 12-10-2015, 01:17 PM   #1
joelones
Beast Machine
Pre-orders at NY Currency Question

I've got a pre-order of mp-29 with NY, and I know there's been a bit of hate recently for them due to their shipping rates probably warranted, but I have a question for those that have pre-ordered before with them.

First off, I see the Total Price and Conversion Rate Total Price base on the day that I made the pre-order. I'm assuming I've locked in that rate, right? It seems so as if I try to pay, nothing changes on me -- but I've heard bad stories elsewhere about this when it comes time to pay.

Secondly, NY offers to pay in CDN verses paying in YEN. If you do the straight off conversion it's slightly higher to pay in CDN, but then you have to factor the Paypal's conversion fee for YEN before it hits your credit card and without know paypal fee's it's a bit of stab in the dark. Just wondering what's been your experience.

Thanks
joelones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:49 PM   #2
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!
Re: Pre-orders at NY Currency Question

Paying in CND saves on the PayPal/credit card conversion fee. But because they pad their internal exchange rate, it's not as good a saving as it could be.

With NY, the price of the figure is locked in at the current days exchange rate if you choose to pay in any currency other than Japanese Yen. If you preorder in Yen, then you can request the price to be adjusted later based on current exchange rate if it's in your favor. This is my understanding of their preorder policy.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:31 PM   #3
joelones
Beast Machine

Thanks for the help.
I'm quite annoyed as I'm sure I selected to pay in CDN funds when making the pre-orders. I now notice that under column "Conversion rate Total price 2015-07-17", I see the prices have all increased for my preorders from a couple of days ago.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:40 PM   #4
RocketGTR
Animated

I took note of a preorder I was doing on N-Y at what the "CDN" would be charged to my card according to N-Y then I paid in JPY. My CC charge was much lower than the amount that N-Y quoted me. So I just pay everything in JPY and let my CC do the conversion when buying from N-Y.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:49 PM   #5
joelones
Beast Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketGTR View Post
I took note of a preorder I was doing on N-Y at what the "CDN" would be charged to my card according to N-Y then I paid in JPY. My CC charge was much lower than the amount that N-Y quoted me. So I just pay everything in JPY and let my CC do the conversion when buying from N-Y.
So you pay directly with your Visa and bypass the paypal embedded fee on exchange?
Old 12-11-2015, 04:01 PM   #6
Masta_Skidz
Theoretician

I use Pay-pal all the time but I have funds come right out of my Bank account and compared to the Normal Exchange Rate Pay-Pal is not that much higher for the services they offer and I feel a little safer using them over just putting my CC information out on a site. I have a separate account linked that I put funds into when needed just to be extra cautious as I am paranoid
Masta_Skidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:04 PM   #7
RocketGTR
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelones View Post
So you pay directly with your Visa and bypass the paypal embedded fee on exchange?
I still use paypal but I select "charge me in JPY" option and not charge me in CDN option.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:20 PM   #8
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

I always pay in JPY.
Darth Cylon is offline   Reply With Quote