Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 08-22-2016, 02:06 PM   #1
elburrito
Animated
Transformers Animated (TFA)

This is a brief comment on TFA toys, cartoon etc..

Like many of us I have, on occasion, attended at TRU (or Walmart, Zellers, Great Canadian Superstrore, Winners, London Drugs...the list goes on) to see what's new.

On one such visit back in (I think) 2008, I saw a display of oddly shaped, very cartoony' looking representation of Optimus Prime, Bumblebee and some new characters like Bulkhead.

At first glance, I was irritated. "Why can't these toy manufacturer's just make toys that are 100% faithful to G1 but with modern technology?"

Several minutes later, while waiting in line for a Big Orange mango smoothy, I found my self thinking about the irreverent and ridiculous TFA toys I had seen shortly before.

Several years later, I began culling the herd. Bye bye Alternators, bye bye CHUG lines, bye bye doubles. The Animated line was on the block as well, but (apart from a couple of pieces) I couldn't bring myself to sell it.

Why not? I sold the CHUG lines! The problem was that (even years later) I find the Animated line brilliant. Gone are the blocky square shapes that constituted pretty much all of G1. These are replaced with asymmetrical exaggerated contours that mold into stream-lined highly-accurate representations of the cartoon characters.

And the cartoon! 52 episodes of a fantastic story full of wit, suspense, danger and huge transforming robots.

G1 has its nostalgia, great, but Animated is actually a well-done show. If you like, you can watch it here:

<http://www.watchcartoononline.com/anime/transformers-animated>

The end of the Animated line in (I think) 2009 appeared to mark the end of careful attention to thorough representation of a cartoon line.

It seems to be when CHUG line toys started to be smaller and when the bots began to only look good from the front. I think this is a shame all around.

There were a few duds absolutely. But these are toys that stand up from any direction they are viewed. The colours are bold and sharp (even the Hasbro ones) with quality paint apps and...virtually unbreakable!

Like any thing, TFA toys can be destroyed, but you are not going to snap on of these by being rough with it, or dropping it from the roof, or running it over with the car. Okay, maybe the car, but you have my point right? These things are solid.

So now, I am buying more. I intend to reproduce the cast of the MTMTE cartoon with Animated toys. Yes, I am probably interested in yours. Specifically, Leader Bulkhead, Activators Ramjet, Activators Cliffjumper.

But if you have a few around, dig the them out. Compare the quality to your most recent CW or TR acquisition. I think you might be impressed...again.

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:28 PM   #2
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions
Re: Transformers Animated (TFA)

Absolutely one of my favorite toyline bar none. I downsized my collection significantly a while ago. Got rid of around half my chug, my g1, random armada or whatever, a few beasties (kept most of that line), but didn't touch animated. Down the road I absolutely need to get the botcon toys. Just a great toyline with fun toys bursting with personality.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:28 PM   #3
there_is_a_martens
Beast Machine

Well said! If there was one transformers line I could collect in its entirety it would be animated. Plus the cartoon is the only one my son will watch with Mr! 😃
Old 08-22-2016, 02:40 PM   #4
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

That's quite funny.Not Ha Ha funny but ironic. I genuinely dislike the animated line, the cartoon and animated was the last thing I collected and first thing I got rid of. Only kept Megatron and OP from that line and what I didn't sell I gave to my son
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:25 PM   #5
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

TFA was awesome! I didn't catch the series when it was on air 07-09 except for a few episodes. Initially I was quite pulled off by the Powerpuff Girls art styles but after binging through the complete series DVD last year, I have to say TFA had the best characterization of any TF series to date since G1. So many random reference to G1 and other cartoons and even other Hollywood movies (That "Decepticon Air" episode where Prime takes Decepticons by himself using hit & run tactics and then crawling through an air shaft while sarcastically complaining about how much fun he's having "a la John McClane from Die Hard made me ROFLMAO)

Toys were 99.99% screen accurate as well. I don't have a lot of TFA toys but got a few on final clearance sales. Leader Meg for $30, Voyager Shockwave and Skywarp for $12 each.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:38 PM   #6
Marcotron
Robot Master

"Decepticons, Transform and Rise Up" is a perfect counter to "Autobots, Transform and Roll Out"
Marcotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:21 PM   #7
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..

I 100% agree with your summary, just love this line and actually am looking forward to the third party Constructicons, I hope they deliver!
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:55 PM   #8
TriggerHappy
TargetMaster

Huge Fan of Transformers Animated! I thought elburrito and Darth_Cylon were spot on. After seeing other TF cartoons (other than G1 series), TFA was a welcome change, and all the G1 references on the show were golden! As for the toyline, I thought it was spot on, and glad to have it in my collection!

I'm glad they could incorporate such an accurate toy line with such an entertaining show.

http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...428#post697428

TriggerHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:38 PM   #9
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

What blows my mind is how they were able to create toys with the stylized art of the show that are functional, and at times ingenious, transforming toys in and of themselves.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:59 PM   #10
elburrito
Animated

absolutely! and without gaping holes or excess kipple. and with varied and interesting gimmicks. voyager shockwave/longarm c'mon! i have MPs and G1s behind glass and Animated on an open shelf. my wife always says i have it backwards, Animated should be behind the glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
What blows my mind is how they were able to create toys with the stylized art of the show that are functional, and at times ingenious, transforming toys in and of themselves.

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote