Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
ConvoyGTR
Generation 2
Someone Broke into my Downstairs Neighbors Place

It happened about noonish when I heard someone open the front door. I though it was one of the tenants like any other day. But about 2hrs later, the tenants comes knocking at the upstairs entrance and tells me his computer and 4K in gold were stolen..... Who keeps 4 thousands dollars in gold in the house?

They broke into the kitchen window and this neighborhood was until a few minutes ago a really safe place. Sign of the times, I guess.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus
Re: Someone Broke into my Downstairs Neighbors Place

Crime can happen anywhere, and different types of crimes happen in different types of neighbourhoods.

Just between you and me, this one sounds targeted rather than random. Maybe they somehow knew about the gold?

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
ConvoyGTR
Generation 2

It's possible. He told me once a few years ago that someone stole the hubcaps off his car. And the relation with his first roommate didn't end all too well but that was years and years ago.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:20 AM   #4
Commandoclone87
Seeker

Had to have been someone whom was familiar with the place. It sounds like they knew when he would be out and what they would be looking for.
Commandoclone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:32 AM   #5
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruticus82 View Post
Just between you and me, this one sounds targeted rather than random. Maybe they somehow knew about the gold?
Sounds like this to me too. Especially when you're still home. Speculation, but they must have had some degree of certainty that someone wouldn't come down stairs when they heard a noise. And 4k of gold in the house, come on. That had to be hidden, and nobody doing a smash and grab would find it unless they knew where it was.

I remember reading a story in the paper about a man he had his life savings in gold stolen out of his house, and either the police knew or suspected that the thieves knew about the gold. IMHO a safety deposit box would work nicely for keeping your 4k of gold.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:43 AM   #6
Commandoclone87
Seeker

Once heard of a man whom had been robbed of his wife's jewlery and his $2000 watch. He suspected it was someone he knew because they were able to calm his dogs enough not to alert someone.

His suspicions turned out to be correct as later, he saw his neighbour's kids prom photos on a high school website and in plain site was the stolen watch.

Moral of the story, if you think it is someone you know, keep a close lookout for your items in their photos. Because you never know when some stupid teenager will bust himself by posting a photo of stolen goods on Facebook.
Commandoclone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:06 AM   #7
Nomad
Airachnid's ratservant
Send a message via AIM to Nomad Send a message via MSN to Nomad

Or you know, be stupid enough to brag about it on Facebook...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvoyGTR View Post
"they're all gone, vultures everywhere"
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #8
pud333
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvoyGTR View Post
Who keeps 4 thousands dollars in gold in the house?

An idiot. This is why you secure it at an institution. Anyway, hopefully he had insurance to cover his losses, and receipts for that gold.

I apologize about the idiot comment. But I just don't see how one could ever need to keep that much gold in their house, unless it was jewelry.

Last edited by pud333; 09-11-2011 at 04:34 PM.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:08 AM   #9
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
But I just don't see how one could ever need to keep that much gold in their house, unless it was jewelry.
Some people just don't trust banks. It's a little extreme, and personally, I don't understand such distrust, b like I said in my previous post, someone kept their life savings in their house. And I don't think this is unique.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #10
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
Some people just don't trust banks. It's a little extreme, and personally, I don't understand such distrust, b like I said in my previous post, someone kept their life savings in their house. And I don't think this is unique.
I believe that the not trusting of banks issue stems from many generational tales passed down from our great grandparents, and the problems of the untamed West, with Bank Robberies and such.

Or it could just be that they don't trust the banks of the modern era due to the newfangled computing methods that are hackable and involve transfering your funds in the blink of an eye. How this translates into Physical Theft of Gold out of your Safety Deposit Box however baffles me, as a money transfer illegaly put through can't steal the physical materials in your safety despoit box/boxes. (Least not until they develop some kind of electronic funds/currency thing and abolish paper money entirely. Watch out, someone might cut off your thumb to steal your cash.)

Definitely an 'Inside' Job as the saying goes. When our house was broken into a few years back the thief had no knowledge of our security system and so when they got past the motion sensor after kicking a hole in the door the alarm frightened them away before they could grab more than my ST TNG box Sets. Really pissed me off though, as they were mine, and so I was extremely irritated at having to buy them back with the insurance money as opposed to picking up sets I didn't own yet to complete my collection.

Stupid druggies, they make for terrible burglars.