Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 09-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions
Gen Metroplex discoveries

While popping open my Gen Metroplex figure, I've come to discover a few things.

1 - The back of the head has some moulding for a pin, but isn't used. It looks like this was the original rotation point for the flap that pops up in the back.

2 - The inside of Metroplex's chest is moulded to accommodate 3 buttons connected to the front cockpit: left only, right only, and center (all three at once), which is why the cockpit can be leaned to each side without triggering the lights and sounds.

2A - I'll be using these three button spaces for when I mod in an MP3 player soon. Actually just the side two (On/off and play/pause, and the other for next) since I want to retain the original electronics feature.

3 - There is PLENTY of space to fit an MP3 player and small speaker inside of the center chest, even to the point where the original electronics can sit unmodded.

4 - It's easier to put the stickers on when you take the helmet off (or just take the figure apart).

5 - The Canadian Tri-Lingual electronics are the same as the European release according to the circuit board, which means there is intended to be a European release. Mine says XYL68C EU VERSION, and on the secondary board XYL56A (which I assume is the same for the US release).

6 - The wires connected to the circuit board are prone to breaking at the solder points (probably the cause of some units not functioning). The battery wires are and wires between the secondary and primary board are especially prone to this.

7 - The plastic is SUPER thin at some points, I can notice some tiny holes in some of these thin parts when I hold it up to the light.

8 - You can easily remove the red "sunglasses" in a non-destructive way if you first remove the helmet.

9 - The most non-intrusive place to carve out a hole in order to have access to a USB wire appears to be inside of the ramp area near the back, which can then be tucked back into the center chest when not in use.

10 - According to the main circuit board, it is installed upside down, the screw should go in the hole indicated.

11 - With the amount of flux overspray on the main circuit board, it WILL fail in a few years due to corrosion, whether MISB or not (sorry collectors).

12 -
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ark View Post
Not related to the electronics, but does anyone know what the switch on the back of his neck does?
- When the light and sound is on, move it back and forth to see his pupils moving.

13 - If I'm correct in looking at details on Metroplex and his gun, his gun appears to be a dreadnaught ship; the bridge needs to fit Cybertronians. So let's assume his 5mm ports are about 25 meters across, making his scale 1:5000, a nice even number for calculating. Generations Metroplex's height is therefore around 3 kilometers. Wow. (conjecture)

edit: with Titans Returns released, and some mini planes, the scale works out more like 888 meters tall. Still formidable.

14 - Metroplex's missile can act as Scamper's baton.

15 - Scamper's gun has some weird sculpting on it that leads me to believe that Six-gun may have been planned at some point, with Scamper's gun combining onto something else. I can't figure out where else on Metroplex the weird sculpting might fit. (conjecture)

16 - Metroplex's vehicle mode is designed for two big red guns, just like the G1 version. Sad that the general release doesn't get the second one.

17 - A different gimmick may have been planned and scrapped for Metroplex's left forearm, which is why there is no play feature with it and it doesn't mirror the right forearm. (conjecture)

18 - I can't, for the life of me, figure out what those red bars are in city mode by the helipad.

19 - The vehicle mode's crane arm can be removed and inserted (although a bit loose to allow for rotation) into any 5mm hole.

Last edited by Shepp; 04-13-2017 at 10:58 PM.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
The Ark
The Original Scalper.
Re: Gen Metroplex discoveries

Not related to the electronics, but does anyone know what the switch on the back of his neck does?
Old 09-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

Nice info though for MISB I'd be more worried about the batteries corroding than the electronics. Flux can be removed with either 100% isopropyl alcohol (and scrubbing with a tooth brush) or flux remover.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
Transbot90210
Nexus Maximus

Is flux the name given to the acid that spills out of batteries and damages toys?
Old 09-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

No that's battery acid, flux is used to clean the electrical connections when soldering.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
Transbot90210
Nexus Maximus

OK, thank you.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Thanks for the informative read!

Is there anything you suggest we do to Metroplex to help maintain the electronics, due to point 11?

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
UltraPrimal
Canadian Slag

For some non-electronics related, though more obvious discoveries:

- Metroplex contains over two dozen 5mm posts that be used to plug in Metroplex's or Scamper's gun(s), or any other 5mm weapon.

- Speaking of Metroplex's guns, the reason his red gun's tip is orange is apparently due to safety reasons. That's right! Metroplex is so large, his gun is considered a safety hazard!

- When transformed, on the back of his head are two pegs. Scamper can hold these pegs and use Metroplex's head as a turret with what I initially thought was a radar dish as a sight.

- Metroplex's black guns can be used as handheld guns. They can also be mounted on the mysterious two red "towers" in city mode.

- Metroplex's black guns also vaguely resemble a random ship from Transformers Armada. Probably coincidental.

- If your Metroplex's ramp is kind of loose when collapsed into his chest, you probably don't have it transformed completely. There's a tab on the back of the ramp and goes into a slot inside Metroplex's back.

- Scamper's gun features two pegs. The one on the bottom is obvious. But the one on the back is a bit of mystery. Possibly for use as a melee weapon?

- If you lift up one of Metroplex's arms and then rotate it at the shoulder, you can see the orange ratchets inside moving in a probably unintentional "Mech Alive" fashion.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #9
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruticus82 View Post
Thanks for the informative read!

Is there anything you suggest we do to Metroplex to help maintain the electronics, due to point 11?
Use some VeriClean Flux remover sparingly, then get a stiff paint brush and scrub it gently clean. Might take a couple of passes. Be very careful and read the MSDS sheet and instructions first.

You could even go as far as resoldering the wires and resistors, capacitors, etc. (may require a powerful magnifying glass and a really tiny soldering pen, I used to use a microscope for that at work) after, and switching to bigger (lower AWG) wires.

But that means popping the figure open. So MISB is out of luck.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #10
bruisedlee
Robot in Disguise

Not a discovery, but an improvement IMHO

megamoonman at tfw2005 has some 3d printed ramp extensions and alternate knees that allow you to configure the base mode differently.

I got 3 ramp pieces, plus the 2 knees for 42$ shipped.

If you think it looks good, you can get yours here:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/items-...gamoonman.html

2010 Reissue Predaking, Cybertron Starscream, Marvel Cross Overs.....

Check out my feedback thread!
bruisedlee is offline   Reply With Quote