Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 11-27-2018, 01:19 AM   #3
Brian12
Machine War
Re: Masterpiece Cheetor right thumb broken :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOfflineMan View Post
I found superglue to be a poor choice for repairing toys where the applied stress is high and some flexibility is required (e.g. base of the thumb when inserting a gun). The glued interface is very stiff but brittle, which I don't think is desirable in this case.

Given it's an expensive figure, my recommendation is to invest the time to investigate the use of plastic welding kits. These kits use chemicals to melt the two plastic surfaces to actually form the bond. From what I understand, you may have to identify the type of plastic you are trying to weld, as the chemicals may be plastic-specific.

Some sites suggest using soldering iron / heat gun, but it is something I don't recommend because it is difficult to: 1) control the heat of the tool (especially soldering iron) to prevent burning the plastic, and 2) ensure the entire contact surface is melted, given that these tools heat from the outside and plastic is a poor heat conductor.

I hope this helps.

Those are some very complicated steps...I knew this wouldn't be simple.

But thank you for the reply. I'm not sure about actually doin any of those, if I do superglue it back on I guess he'll just have to be left handed. But right now, he can still hold the gun in his right hand and cover up the missing thumb.

I always did feel like trying to get the guy to hold any of his weapons was too difficult..so it might have been inevitable. I'd even say it's a design flaw, of an otherwise amazing figure.

But there are worse cases of this figure's breakage. I can live with this.
Brian12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.