Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 12-14-2008, 05:46 AM   #10
dak
Master Creator
Re: Canadian Kitbashing Tutorials

Submitted by Chans Formers

Panel Lining 123

hi guys.i recieved a few pms asking how to do panel lining.(if this is the wrong spot to post this i totally apologize,if it needs to be moved i totally understand.)
please keep in mind this is just a basic tutorial on how to do it.theres also many ways of doing panel lining but i'm only going to describe how i do it.here goes...
  1. wash your "donor"figure in sunlight dish soap and let him dry completely.(the last thing you want is greasy prints or mold release agents in the cracks that you want to line)
  2. most figures have recessed lines on it somewhere and thats where you want to run the gundam marker through.start from one end of the recessed area and go in one direction only.you can go back on the same line area again but usually it ends up thickening the line.
  3. if and when you skip/jump out of the line,have a small rag or paper towel nearby thats slightly damp.if you have to fix a mistake,always rub/wipe off "against"the line.if not,you'll end up wiping out more of the paint thats in the line,which usually results in a big black smudge.worst case scenario,use the rag and some isopropyl alcohol and wipe the whole area clean and start again.
  4. as you do the lining,you should start to feel how heavy or light you want to press down on the marker.the lighter you press,the lighter of a line you get and vice versa.
  5. theres also a happy medium between too little and too much panel lining.too much and it looks "cluttered".to little and it will look like your bots missing something.ive included pics of 2 mcdonalds bb's,one thats been lined and one without.ultimately in the end,if you're happy with the results than thats all that matters.(different folks,different strokes)
  6. i found that with the fine tipped gundam markers you can clear coat the bot after but make sure you apply the clear in ultra light mist coats,otherwise if you pound on too much clear at once it ends up "bleeding" the lines you just spent so much time working on.
  7. also,try not to stop in the middle of a line or you will end up getting "dots"thicker than the lines you're doing.
  8. "please remember,this is a really basic how to tutorial just for panel lining with a gundam marker."

Attachment 1773
Attachment 1774

Last edited by dak; 12-14-2008 at 05:52 AM.

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.