View Single Post
Old 11-06-2020, 03:06 PM   #117
NightshadeX
Robot Master
NightshadeX's Ebay Auctions
Re: Earthrise appreciation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodimusRocks View Post
Don't know how you guys feel about the Prime Wars trilogy and the toys that came out of it, but as a new collector who has been loving WFC and it's G1 accurateness, seeing the earlier line's molds, particularly Combiner Wars they all look horrible to me.

Big blocky chunk boys with weird proportions and cheap looking alt modes. I specifically despise Optimus and Motormaster. They look so bad to me.

At the time did people actually like what Combiner Wars was doing?
Combiner Wars (actually I stuck with Unite Warriors) was awesome (to me). I loved the heck out of it, and I still do. After the shrinking of Deluxes that occurred during Thrilling 30, it was nice to see full-size Deluxes again. And to have a fully functioning combiner gimmick after the monstrosity that was WFC Bruticus: also awesome.

To have a premium Devastator with six Constructicons, also awesome.

The mold re-use got insane, for sure. And turning non-combiners into combiners was weird (although I still like the UW molds). But to get real scramble city combiners, it was great. Even if Motormaster might look weird, the other three of the original 4 torsos are solid. And UW Computron is excellent.

Titans Return and POTP were also good. TR was great to get classic headmasters back, and pseudo targetmasters (I suppose you need to like those years of G1 toys). The "turn everyone into headmasters" was a bit much, like CW, but still some solid toys.

POTP was definitely the oddity of the trilogy without much of a defining trait to them. It was great to get all five Dinobots again in correct molds, and Abonimus. But the sticker-tastic explosion... not so great.

Having said that, I definitely like Siege and Earthrise and I think the attempt to have a scale between them is pretty great. Siege and ER and SS 86 feel like they will be my definitive takes on the characters they release, but I will never knock CW or TR for the core characters they brought us that I would be skeptical if they would re-do them again.
NightshadeX is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.