Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Thread: Customs Duties?
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 10:04 AM   #13
Omegatron
Gen 1
Re: Customs Duties?

O.K, thanks everyone for your replies. To me this line stood out

"The purpose of customs is to essentially discourage buying outside of Canada. The reason they charge you taxes is more or less a penalty for not spending the money within Canada from a Canadian Business."

That sounds essentially correct to me and yes I do understand the essential concept of duty. What surprised me was the fact that I could be assessed no duty but still incur tax. I guess I naively assumed I'd incur both or neither.

It also seems a bit unfair that I would be taxed and then assigned a handling fee, that feels like a tax on a tax. Again I'm sure that's how it works and plenty of you have proven just that in your posts, but it just feels wrong somehow.

For the record the shipper was the US postal service but the vendor was BBTS. I generally try to avoid them simply because they cover the outside of their boxes with their corporate logo which to me acts as beacon to customs people and so I often get hit if I order from them. This time around though I had no real choice, they were the only ones who had what I wanted. I'm not mad or really upset, I kind of expected this to happen, its just the mechanics of it that seemed weird.
Omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.