Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 09:02 AM   #24
GotBot
Nexus Maximus
Re: Transformers The Last Knight Deluxe Cogman Released at Canadian Retail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMegatron View Post
It was reported.
http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/10/05/p...-images-351593
and
http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/10/05/p...-images-351592

Here is a breakdown of the MSRPs in USD for the POTP line directly from Hasbro

TRANSFORMERS: GENERATIONS POWER OF THE PRIMES MICRONUS PRIME MASTER
(Ages 8 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: $5.99/Available Fall 2017)

Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Deluxe Class Terrorcon Cutthroat
(Ages 8 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: $19.99 SRP /Available: Spring 2018)

So same MSRP jump as TLK toys in the US

Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Voyager Class Terrorcon Hun-Gurrr
(Ages 8 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: $29.99 SRP Available: Spring 2018)

Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Leader Class Evolution Rodimus Unicronus
(Ages 8 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: $49.99 SRP /Available: Spring 2018)

In the end, yes, a price jump was reported and is still in effect at Hasbro. Target has chosen not to sell them at MSRP. Walmarts in the US didnt retail their TLK toys at MSRP either. However, in Canada for the TLK line, Walmart and Toysrus have chosen to sell at MSRP due to how less competitive our toy market is.

So looking at the evidence available for any user to see, showing that the price jump for TLK toys to be in effect with POTP, it makes perfect sense for someone to assume POTP will be prices the same as TLK products.

I of course hope its not the case, but the evidence from hasbro suggests otherwise.
Yes, I saw that and I know the trend is to have a hike apply across the board, accounting for exchange rates and such. TLK set a different precedent with a huge hike here and nothing really in the US. As such, I simply didn't jump to conclusions until I was told what was specifically listed in inventory systems. Based on those reports, we should see TR not TLK prices. We shall see soon enough but I'm hoping and wagering on TR price points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturn View Post
....those prices were reported on this site...

Attributing a ceiling to value is to pretend inflation doesn't exist. Everything gets more expensive all the time. Yes a 50% hike on something is jarring but this is a frivolous, luxury item.

$20 got you a lot more plastic ten years ago. It'll get you a lot less ten years from now.

Whether or not POTP comes out at $20, $25, or $30 a deluxe, kids will ask for them, parents will budget for them, hasbro will keep making money, and keep raising their prices as they see fit because they really haven't got competition, they own the brand completely.

I hope it's $20CAD but I'm also acknowledging that $20 deluxes will soon be a thing of the past. It wasn't that long ago MSRP on a deluxe was $15 and people were complaining about it going up a dollar or two at a time. It's not going to stop.
Inflation is one thing but a jump of this magnitude was not due to inflation. And we aren't talking about over a period of ten or 20 years. We are talking a hike from one line simultaneously running concurrent to another that is of better quality and less costly. Over 10 years, of course you are right. And, as this is a luxury item, of course it has a ceiling when people say "Yeah, That's no longer worth it."
Parents will budget is an interesting statement . Apparently I do live in the only place TLK isn't selling. What I am hearing and seeing is that the public is sending a message of these toys costing more than their value by simply not buying them. Hence the recent drops.
I understand that costs creep up over time. I also get msrp, but I dunno about you, I rarely go by that. I don't buy a car or a house or anything for suggested/offered price and if it is a retail item, I have several over the years I have hit a ceiling on, though I love this franchise, it is no different. For those who do see the value with the TLK hike, that's wonderful and I am glad you are happy with that. I was just saying that personally, in today's current market, the TR price points seems more reasonably accurate to me than the TLK. Ten years from now? Probably a different story.
Either way, based on what was reported to my, potp SHOULD be at the TR prices regardless of msrp. Let's hope the reports prove to be true. Again, fingers crossed
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.