Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 12-30-2018, 03:47 PM   #1
Poflymn
Beast Machine
Poflymn's Ebay Auctions
Collecting Dilemma...Where to go from here?

Lately, I've been questioning my Transformers collecting dedication and direction.

I started getting into collecting with the Generations and Combiner Wars line. These lines really brought back my childhood memories of the series as they were more or less pretty consistent in their representation of the G1 figures for the most part. Holding that completed CW Superion was something else!

Of course, as time progress CHUG figures were starting not to cut it anymore. They were great since they were cheap in the grand scheme of things but as the saying goes you get what you pay for. I then went ahead and bought my first MP figure. Wow! Masterpiece figures were a whole new level of awesome. This of course came at a price with the higher price points. But it was worth it. I started small with some Autobot cars and worked my way up with Megatron being the most expensive official Masterpiece figure I've bought to date.

Then I went down the proverbial rabbit hole, I bought my first MP figure, Fans Toys Phoenix. Jetfire, Skyfire, was one of my favs growing up. I couldnt pass the opportunity to grab one when one of my local Hobby shops got some in and I was able to handle it first hand...I was sold! It didnt stop there of course, I also now own 4/5 of the Fans Toys Dinobots and a couple of other 3P figures.

However, as of late, I have been looking at my collection and am not really sure if it still brings me the same feelings from when I started. Sure I still get excited when I see new figures being released, both CHUG and MP/3P. But CHUG doesnt cut it anymore. I pick up the occasion figures to fill a gap in particular characters, such as the Twintwist, Repugnus, etc but now that I've tasted MP/3P this is what I need.

Of course MP/3P comes at a price especially a high price lately as the new releases even from Takara are pushing price points to points never though of before. I'm looking at you BW Megatron! I make a fairly decent income but I also have other priorities. As such, I am looking at maybe only buying a new figure every few months maybe longer.

There are plenty figures I tell myself I'd love to have but with the release schedule of late it feels like I'll never catch up. That I'll always be behind and never be able to finish my collection or keep at a point where I am content. I'm also big into Final Fantasy and there have been lots of new high quality figures coming out for that as well. How do I balance multiple collections with limited funds? At what point do you decide to continue trucking on or just let go? I'll always be a kid at heart and an avid Gamer, I'm in my mid thirties now. I am just at the point now that I do not know if I want to continue collecting Transformers, if I'll ever be content just getting a few figures a year.

TLDR...at what point do you look at your collection and say to yourself, "Is it worth it anymore?" "Can I continue moving forward or am I going to fall behind?"
Poflymn is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.