Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 08-04-2019, 11:41 AM   #12
OldOfflineMan
Beasty
OldOfflineMan's Ebay Auctions
Re: Collect or Play? Investment or Display?

I agree with the many posters. The CHUG, CW, TR and POTP lines of figures will only be of value to us because these are the characters we grew up with. I buy some for my kids, but they don't know them and they mean less to them than Pokemon and Paw Patrol.

I fully expect the prices of these lines to tank in a few years, as our responsibilities increase (e.g. kids) and we have less time (and money) to spend on hobbies.

For me, the value I extract is the pure enjoyment of being able to pose them and play with them in a way I wish I could when I had the G1 toys 30 years ago.

If you're thinking of toys as investment, I would buy things that kids love these days, like the high quality Thomas the Tank Engine toys. Even then, you're looking at an investment horizon of 20+ years (once those kids get old enough to make money and buy their own) and the return is much less than conventional investment vehicles. And nobody has an investment horizon of 20+ years because things can change so much.

I do keep the packaging for the toys my kids get that really matter to them (i.e. Thomas), in case they become serious collectors when they get older. I was a hoarder as a kid and by accident kept boxed and complete figures of G1 Optimus Prime, Roadbuster, Quickswitch, Jetfire and many other figures, which I ended up selling to a store before my kids arrived at what I now know to be at pennies on the dollar.

In short, I think you should liberate the figures and enjoy them to your hearts content. Because you'll be enjoying them for (hopefully) many years to come.

Last edited by OldOfflineMan; 08-04-2019 at 11:58 AM.
OldOfflineMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.