Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 10-06-2017, 02:00 AM   #36
MilanX3
Nexus Maximus
Re: I need a new Online store (preferably canadian) Not BBTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scowly Prowl View Post
I'm not convinced it is random. I generally assume that the CBSA will apply duty and sales taxes to my packages when they arrive from international sellers, and I factor that into my purchase decision. The duty charges are generally small, especially for simple toys without batteries and electronic components. The taxes that are applied are the same as the equivalent good purchased for the same price locally (that's why the sender has to declare the value of the good on the customs slip). The CBSA charges $10 for the assessment service for any package handled through the mail (EMS, SAL, USPS).

However, compare that to the brokerage fee charged by the courier companies...
True enough. Met many that work at CBSA and with so many parcels and lack of funding in an ebay/amazon era, they will tax items with information, but they do let alot of parcels go without charge. They choose parcels to tax and others not...some they will investigate even with low duty and gift and charge full value, but they do not fully assess/investigate every single parcel, its why sometimes u do not get customs on parcels...some companies are flagged though so more likely to get charged. Problem with volume and limited staff and resources. Its why many postmasters who worked for years with CP cannot always predict what will be charged or even what the consistent regulations will be for many packages. Good luck to everyone, may you avoid the tax fairy a few times this year!

Yes, couriers are hell to deal with...there is a way to get the brokerage fees returned btw, but the govt has closed many easy access offices for this...even the one that used to be in the middle of d/t Toronto.

Last edited by MilanX3; 10-06-2017 at 02:04 AM.
MilanX3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.