Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 11:13 PM   #1
Pascal
Banned
Quick review: Fans Project TFX-01 City Commander

PROS

-trailer mode is nicely detailed (even the wheels are matching from a distance) and tight (nothing flops around)
-colors perfectly match the ones found on Ultra Magnus
-good plastic = good weight (no cheap plastic here)
-armor fits perfectly and securely (zero looseness and no gaps - the armor contours the existing robot perfectly)
-transformation is a lenghty process, is challenging and satisfying (I was wowed by some of the steps, like how the leg armor is formed or how well the gun is integrated
-awesome sculpt and detailing in combined mode (great headsculpt and very modern look with all the sharp edges all over)
-perfectly applied paint apps all over
-choice of different license plate stickers
-license plate rotates to be invisible on the foot in robot mode!
-BFG (and it has 2 modes)
-guns for Ultra Magnus can be pegged behind the shoulder pieces (so no extra parts lying around)
-holes on the shoulders to fit G1 Magnus missile launchers (at least so they say)
-Ultra Magnus looks good even from the back!
-head and legs can be posed nicely
-foot platforms can be tilted for better stability and poseability!
-spring-loaded chest armor side bars for tighter fit!
-awesome packaging
-best set of instructions ever! (comic with integrated instructions in the story)

CONS

-trailer cannot turn when attached to Ultra Magnus in truck mode
-BFG is enormous
-one of the 2 modes for the BFG (with the cannon flipped forward) puts too much weight on the arm (unless I do it wrong, there's also some slight forearm interference preventing the gun from being perfectly straight like it should)
-inserting and removing the legs into/from the leg armor is a bit difficult and requires some force... a bit scary
-gun handle is a bit difficult to slide out, doesn't look like it's going to break but be careful when you pull
-limited arm poseability because of the extra bulk
-not too sure about the story in the comic... and why does it look like it features Optimus Prime and not Ultra Magnus?

Seriously, it's the perfect update for G1 Ultra Magnus. It looks modern, it's gorgeous, it comes with great packaging, it's limited and it delivers. None of the cons are really cons for me, it's just nitpicking. With this set, I don't even feel the need for a Masterpiece Ultra Magnus. This is my masterpiece Ultra Magnus. Well worth the investment.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.