Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 10:07 AM   #21
gagagalvatron
Half psychotic
Re: Starting to Watch Star Trek: TNG... and I like it.

When I was a young kid, it was Star Wars all the way. Trek was boring.

Then, when there were no more Star Wars movies (this was after RotJ), Star Trek got my attention. All that talkiness became relevant and interesting. For awhile, ST > SW.

SW and ST represent different things and fill different sci-fi needs. I think when you recognize that, you realize you don't have to choose. They each bring something good to the table, and you can appreciate each for what they do best.

TNG is a great series, though there are a lot of clunker episodes. I'm watching the occasional episode on Space now, as it goes through the cycle of seasons again. It was a series where Trek grew and evolved, though it was still in the process of figuring a lot of things out.

DS9 is more polarizing. Many consider it the best Trek series (myself included). Others think it too dark. Most of the first season is garbage (although the pilot is easily the best Trek pilot) and the second season is where it begins to take off. It's worth the early growing pains, though, as DS9s characterization is top notch.

I hate Voyager, so much that I consider it anti-Star Trek in many ways. More than anything, it shows why having all episodes be essentially self-contained can be a really bad idea, as continuity, logic, character development, and storytelling gets tossed out the airlock. The finale is one of the worst pieces of filmed Trek ever. Voyager did what no show before had done: it made me stop watching Star Trek.

I only saw a little bit of Enterprise. The common wisdom is that the first two seasons sort of sucked (and I checked out during the first). And then it got better. And then it was cancelled.
In my opinion, Enterprise inherited the worst of Voyager and didn't change itself until it was too late. Also in my opinion, Enterprise is what happens when Trek doesn't really evolve. Recycled shows, plots, characters, sets -- it made Trek feel played out. Too comfortable with itself, it didn't grow.
gagagalvatron is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.