Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 07-14-2019, 06:41 PM   #24
Darkroar
Generation 2
Darkroar's Ebay Auctions
Re: Considering quitting collecting ....

I've cut back a ton over the past three or four years. For example, this year I've bought maybe 6-7 figures total.

Price was only a part of this feeling, it's mostly to do with clutter and realizing it's only certain things that I really enjoy collecting and focusing on those. Kind of a minimalist approach.

When I look at my shelves the characters and arrangements are clear now and I like it. Before I just had so much on some shelves it was a jumble. The rest is packed away for now. I've sold some, but there is plenty more to go.

It's pretty cool that a lot of figures have some value so it's not like you are flushing all the money spent down the toilet.

If I have second thoughts about selling something I just hold on to it and decide I'll leave it for later. So far, though, I haven't regretted selling things.

One day I just realized I couldn't keep up the pace. It was just too much space and too much stuff. Some of it was packed away and I thought how is that enriching my life by having things packed away I may never care to see again? I thought about how long it would take to sell it all and decided to start a bit at a time.

When I think about how long it will take to sell it also helps me when I add something to my collection. I try to think ahead and see the future of the item. Will it be a long term display item or will it display short term, end up in a box, and I'll want to sell it a bit later? If it's not a long term item, I don't buy it.
The hassle of buying and selling a while later is too much to bother with.

Anyway, so far this system has worked well for me.
Darkroar is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.