Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 09-24-2017, 05:09 PM   #4
Scowly Prowl
Calculating variables...
Re: Community trust, and the new climate of buy/sell/trade online.

Trading is tricky these days. The reach of the Internet gives the illusion of community without the benefits of actual contact, and leaves you with the feelings you had mentioned. Trust is a big issue on the Internet, and I often reflect: "How much do you trust someone you have never met?" when an online transaction is offered.

At least with purchases, you have the protection of your payment method to backstop your losses (and those payment companies are very willing to help you out, so you keep buying at other sites). As you mentioned, with a trade there is no protection, and therein lies the rub. Personally, I'd love to do all my trading at a convention or a local meet, but life/time/fate conspires to ruin my attempts at joining the local scene.

I once heard from someone (who has other hobbies, but has the same problem) that she Skypes the other party to seal the deal. I think that's an interesting way of looking at it, but if it helps you with achieving the sense of community that secures your trust in the transaction, then maybe that's not such a bad idea.
Scowly Prowl is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.