Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
GMfan
Robot in Disguise
GMfan's Ultra Magnus Madnus Collection

Costume (1986) - This mask is from a 1986 Halloween costume, sold with a lame smock like onesie outfit that had the G1 UM box art on the chest with a white background and blue pants (Reference). Since it's such an old costume most of the masks were IMMEDIATELY tossed after Halloween or destroyed over the years. Granted this one isn't in the best of shape either but it's the only time I've seen one in person...damn rare it is... <3 it. Poor fool only wanted $6 for it too...

Children's Snow Gloves (1986) - Is it sad that this is probably one of the holiest of grails in my collection? Why you ask? Well...before Cheers Ian stumbled upon these in some "pop culture shop" called Groovy in Pittsburgh (of all the places...) I had NO F'N idea they even existed! And holy piss, the condition they're in!!! The lenticular is unscratched, the lining intact, the stitching looks brand new, the pleather undamaged...amazing, simply amazing how this looks over 25 years later. So glad he didn't hesitate to grab them. The lenticular transitions between the G1 character box art for Ultra Magnus and the More Then Meets the Eye Transformers logo.

Decoy (1986)
– Probably the most I’ll ever pay for a piece of rubber. Though we did get the decoys in North America we did not get the TF: Movie characters. However Japan did! He’s also available in other colours like yellow and blue but chose red as it was the Autobot decoy colour.

Scramble City Gun Set Vinyl Figurine AKA Super Decoy (1986)
- When I thought I overpaid for the small decoy...well to be fair, I paid less then half when this guy usually goes for mint in package with all the extra crap I don't care about. He is a Japanese exclusive figurine and tough to come by. He's pretty much three pieces of vinyl (one large red one, two small blue ones) put together and some paint apps (mostly silver, some shiny blue) added to make the molded details pop. He's also got arm articulation...so...not far off from his G1 counterpart.

3-D/2-D Puzzle by Milton Bradley (1986) - A bit of a rare oddity, especially finding one complete. Got this for myself to commemorate surviving 24 years of life. Somewhat of a triple changer if you consider all the modes...really has an odd charm to him for being so unique.

Pulsating Light AM Radio (1986) - While visiting TFW's avid Transformers merch collector Alphie, Aaron of WTF@TFW fame found this little gem and hooked me up with him. The box has seen better days but OMG!! It has the original factory manual within?!...ya I'm lame. It's a sweet piece which I had to remove from the box and test. Wow this thing is pristine. Like I just picked it up off a shelf. Let's see if it works!...well...it played some Hindi bollywood music for about 3 seconds and crapped out...guess I'll need to get another to crack open and modify so I have a functional one!

Voice Changer (1986)
- Thought the movie Optimus helmet was the first Transformers voice changer? WRONG! Ultra Magnus was! Course this system was a little less sophisticated...looks kinda like a walky-talky...worked like one too, except you had to put a straw in your mouth, then push a button, then talk...mmmrrrmmm doesn't bode much confidence in being a good voice changer. YOU TRY TALKING WITH A STRAW IN YOUR MOUTH! Haven't tested if this one works but I highly doubt you'll sound anything like Robert Stack or Jack Angel...

Magnet (1986) - It's fun finding items that even the "Mighty Protoman" didn't know existed...like this one! :P Another UK oddity from back in the day...this magnet was a promotional item given when you purchased Peter's brand ice cream. Made with metal and coated in mylar this magnet is able to stand the test of time. Apparently Ultra Magnus loves fudgesicles...what a co-incidence...so do I!

S.T.A.R.S. Booklet (1986) - A surprise gift from Cheers Ian at TFcon 2011. Apparently along with his City Commander duties, Ultra Magnus was also the Commander of S.T.A.R.S. (the Secret Transformers Autobot Rescue Squad)! Busy guy....though the cover is the only Ultra Magnus art in the booklet, the remainder of it talks from Ultra Magnus's perspective and gives you info on Wheeljack, Sunstreaker, Ratchet, Mirage, and Thundercracker and how to mail away order them. This was also the way one would mail away and obtain the Omnibots (Downshift, Camshaft, and Overdrive) and Reflector back in the 80's.

Custom by chansformer (2010) - Another birthday gift from my man Otis. Taking the Ultra Magnus voice changer and removing the innards and straw in the back and adding some internal weights he turned it into a paperweight and totally repainted him to have a nicer G1 colour scheme (Yay! More dark blue! And as you can see the original voice changer lacked MUCH colour and detailing). It's simple but once again, it's got a special place collection.

Super Collection Figures Act 1 (2000) - Found by the Protoman and given to my madnus collection where he knew it'd be proudly put on display instead of sitting in a box. The Takara SCF line had 4 versions of Ultra Magnus (still need to get the last 2...) and to those that may recognize the molding, yes this is the line that would eventually become our Heroes of Cybertron, though our versions had less paint apps and added light piping in the eyes.

VHS Tape (2000) - Were VHS cassette's still made in 2000?! Well apparently Kid Rhino made a couple of volumes of Transformers episodes during this time, this one being Volume 8: Evil Experiment! Now I grabbed this at TFcon 2011 as it caught the corner of my eye having new Ultra Magnus art I haven't seen before, dealer wanted $5 for it, and he got it pretty quickly...I'm so simple to please sometimes. Volume 8 is supposed to contain the episodes "The Killing Jar" and "Webworld"...however when I slid out the tape to view and see if there was some new footage, what was within was G2's "Megatron's Master Plan"...son of a whore! Good thing I really just wanted it for the box art.

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.

Last edited by GMfan; 08-12-2012 at 02:32 PM.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.