Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 06-16-2019, 12:52 PM   #3
imfallenangel
Cybertron
Re: I am sick of the “hunt”...

I think that it's a question that I find that waves are too far in between and that I'd rather would have them release the figures a few at a time, so smaller waves, but more of them, and have them overlap a bit to ensure that one that misses a figure or two for various reasons can still find them up to a year later, just reduce the number per box as time permits.

Trouble is, Transformers tend to be a "lower" item as the shelves on many stores seems (maybe just to me) to be very small and limited.. for some reason, the crap waves or series end up shelfwarming so much, but others end up barely ever staying in stores that if you hesitate on seeing something, it's gone... and never coming back.

Another huge factor is that as time goes by, collectors tend to end up with their collection fairly full... I know that I've seen some collectors that grab e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g, and others that are very picky... some that can only grab the "standard/cheap" stuff and others have a LOT of disposable income and get the 3rd parties, collection editions, etc. that cost more than my mortgage.

And it sucks when you don't have the money at the time, but want a figure, then 1 or 2 years later when you can afford it, it's being bleed out at 2-3-4-5X the price, and so it's still unobtainable.

How I miss having Kmarts and Zellers and Woolcos and all the other long gone stores (Consumers Distributing is worth mentioning) where you'd find so much selection and always the odd few from a year or two behind that you missed in all their glory that you get to take them home, damaged packaging be damned!

That said, then the hunt turns into the "older" stuff at garage sales, flea markets, the odd and ends conventions and comicons and similar, and once in a while you find them online at a reasonable price that if you miss it, someone else won't.

And now that everyone is a collector these days, we ARE each other's competition, so when I go in a store and it's bare, I have to wonder how many collectors or even scalpers have been there already... heck, I look at Kijiji and find that I will see stuff that's barely out and can't be easily found being scalped at a very price. I already seen a few Ectotrons selling at 40-50$ over the price.

So what needs to stay in focus is that it IS a hobby, the reasons for collecting them are probably different for many, but in the end, it's a passion... some "hunt" for the trill of seeing it in their hands and getting them, others just want to get them and having them is the goal.

I rarely hunt unless it's a special circumstances and don't make special trip unless the goal is to get something, and that I'm fairly certain that the odds will be on my side. I'll stop at TrU only when I'm actually passing by it, while Walmart or Winners, I go there to shop regardless, so I just detour to the toy section when I'm there.

It's a question that it's no longer like it used to be, the internet has changed that. Some would rather see it first, have it in their hands as soon as they can, while online, you can be at the mercy of the seller's stock's quality and the shipping delays and possible damage. So it's give and take regardless.

And note that this only applies to regular stuff as 3rd parties stuff, there's no real or easy way to get them aside online or "cons" (and in my area, it's freaking rare to find something really "special"). Heck, just went to the "Geek flea market" and there was almost no Transformers or similar... but did get a few pearls that I didn't expect (a Votom figure and an Walker Galliar, both at 5$ each)... and last similar flea market/con I got an Orguss 1/40 in amazing shape at at least half or online prices). So the hunt can bring rewards

Last edited by imfallenangel; 06-16-2019 at 01:00 PM.
imfallenangel is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.