Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #15
secretcode
Unoriginal Contentâ„¢
Send a message via AIM to secretcode Send a message via MSN to secretcode Send a message via Skype™ to secretcode
Re: Canadian Slag Episode 65 - The Six Million Dollar Slag

What different fan mindsets have you run into?

There's the Geewunners, the Information Whores, the Unicron Trilogy fanatics, the movieverse dudes, the Fandom Vets, Prime fans who "QUIT THE SHOW FOREVER" every week but keep coming back every time a new episode aires... then there's the ones who like to write slashfiction about various characters... I've seen a little bit of everything.

Do any of you ascribe to any of these particular mindsets?

I try to remain open-minded with Transformers, but I highly disagree with many of the mindsets- namely the "G1 or nothing" crowd. If people like different eras of the fandom, how does that make them any less of a fan? I'm a Beast Wars kid, and until maybe 2003 or so, I wasn't even aware of Generation 1. Does it make me any less of a fan? I don't think so. Limiting yourself to one era or being close-minded about the different styles/sections of the brand really limits what you can enjoy from the brand. At least give other things a shot.

Is there a TF line that you must have some of to be called a TF fan?

No. Again, collect what you like. You aren't forced to have a certain toy or certain line to be an actual fan. Try everything at least once.

Is there a single figure that all TF collectors must have?

Personally? Cybertron Optimus Prime.

Are third party items the Mazarati's of the TF world? Or do they even deserve to be referred to as TF's?

I'm probably going to catch some flak for this one, but I don't care at all about Third Party toys. A lot of them are REALLY cool toys, but none of them hit the sweet spot for me. Call me when a Third Party company does some new Beast Wars stuff, or make actually good versions of some Unicron Trilogy dudes. Slavish, super-accurate/articulate versions of G1 characters do nothing for me.

If TF snobs bug you, what do you like to tell them when encountered in person?

I usually just nod and shrug it off. People (especially nerds) can be stubborn as hell, and half the time it's not worth the argument to try to move them away from their very set ways.

As long as you are chill and easy-going in terms of what you like and not overly aggressive about what is "proper" or "canon" or "FOR TRUE FANS", you're fine with me.
secretcode is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.