Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 10:27 PM   #9
gagagalvatron
Half psychotic
Re: Perceptions of the Decepticons

I'd say you have an essay because of Sentinel Prime. He practically writes it for you.

Outside of that, it's kind of hard to make much of a case for either the Decepticons or the Autobots from the movies.

Movie 1, you could go either way because it's vague what the goal is. The extent of the Allspark's power and who will do what with it is largely he-said-she-said. The Decepticons engage in more killing, but you could possibly make a case for them in the greater scheme of things.

Movie 2, it's kind of hard to justify the Decepticons. You might have a case because Murder Prime makes his debut in this movie, and you almost feel sorry for Demolishor.

But it's difficult to justify using a machine that will destroy the sun. It's kind of hard to paint that as not evil, given that there's nothing special about our sun and it could be used in an unpopulated system.

The best you can argue is that everyone seems to go all "End Justifies the Means" in ROTF, Autobots and Decepticons alike. Prime murders and is murdered. Decepticons want to kill Sam with the Slutticon, then take out his brain. Lots of stuff seems to blow up indiscriminately. No one seems to care about collateral damage. Still, the sun thing is going to take some spin, like in the article about Star Wars that kind of addresses Alderaan but glosses over it somewhat.

Movie 3 is probably the meatiest in terms of arguments for the greater good, Cybertron vs. Earth, and character motivation. It's a little hard to rationalize enslavement of a planet's population and indiscriminate killing, though. Perhaps arguing that the Autobots are no better by allowing the Decepticons to run amok, kill a bunch of people to demonstrate the need for the Autobots "protection", and the eventual murders of Sentinel Prime and Megatron.

One thought: do the Decepticons actually say that they're going to enslave everyone? I know EvilPatrickDempsey does, but that's hearsay. I don't remember exactly what they say, and anything other than their exact words is just propaganda. You could possibly go for the angle that the Decepticons want to work in partnership with the Earth, share technology, and build a future for both planets together. It's not like the Autobots were sharing their stuff and advancing the human race.

I can't see why you shouldn't be able to post your essay. It's intelligent discussion about Transformers. If that doesn't belong here, where would it?
gagagalvatron is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.