Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Thread: Repaints & Minor Mods CW Mixmaster - 3D printing FTW!!!
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2016, 12:03 PM   #8
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions
Re: CW Mixmaster - 3D printing FTW!!!

Since there's a much better quality and painted one that looks virtually identical (even more considering I was going to mod the extra roof piece to be curved and glue it on, just like I now see the 3rd party one), I won't be selling an assembled and painted version.

I can do it as a gray or blue ABS kit if someone wants to have a bit of fun assembling it and painting it and all that. I'd clean the pieces, but that's about it. I have blue and gray, no point in getting green since it'd be near impossible to match and would need painting anyways.

$20 for time, material and cleaning sounds about right, compared to my other 3d print sales prices. Shipping it is another issue, though. It's fairly weighty. Being printed in plates means there isn't as much material and weight saving in-fill. Feels like it might be 2 to 3 times as heavy as the Vector Sigma playset I can make.

At $50, the PE kit is a MUCH better cost (and look) considering the time and materials put in to making this thing. Plus you get the other add-ons too. Might pick one up myself, just to compare the two in-hand (not to mention the other upgrades, and it removes my need to paint). At first, I was just going to get the kit to give Scrapper and Long-haul elbows.

I mean, I went through three of those dollar store super glue 4-packs just to get it together. And like a day to fit it and put it together, because, you know, glue's gotta dry between pieces.

It was a fun build, though. Been a long while since I did any model making. I might try my hand at adjusting the details to make it better scale with the other vehicles.

Anyways, I still applaud manfredvr for chopping this into pieces and making it printable. One of the first real functional add-on pieces I've printed, aside from weapons and accessories. At least, I hope that's what manfredvr did. I don't have the PE piece next to me to see if it's just the two pieces, or if it was cast in plates like what I printed.

For now, I'll keep it unpainted and see how it wears as time goes on. My other weapons and accessories don't exactly have many hinges or slides, so I'm curious to see how it holds up. So far it's being handled WAY rougher than anything else I've made, but then it's bulky and the others are not.

If anyone wants, I can take some close-up shots of surfaces so you can get an idea of what a low-to-mid quality 3D printer can make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock View Post
Wow, sorry to tell you this but manfredvr blatantly copied the engineering and look of the Perfect Effect Mixmaster addon from PC-06. Certain details in the bumber, grill, windows, mirror positioning, even details on the sidedoors indicate this is a direct unlicensed rip-off of Perfect Effect and I wouldn't sell this if I were you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnwcQTbT4nM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ghq0SffQjQ

Nothing against your 3D printing skills but I would highly recommend PC-06 as a painted, polished, injection-molded, finished add on kit, even at $50 (which comes with other Devastator parts like shoulder, arms, cranes, hands, etc.) versus someone who stole the design and leaves a 3D printed texture and painting to do.

The new version of PC-06 fixes the floppy wrists too.

Last edited by Shepp; 12-08-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.