Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 10-23-2017, 11:33 PM   #20
Nocturn
Previously Dead
Re: How big is the online toy community?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
It is just so hard to narrow down to a number. I think I see roughly 20 adults looking at the Transformers section in stores for every kid I see.
Not sure if this was meant as hyperbole but I typically see 50/50 parents and kids/people like me who obvs don't have a family, which is absolutely as increase from when I started collecting.

10 years ago I'd get dirty looks and the third degree at checkout, why are you buying this (for myself), who is it for (myself), no who is it for really (myself). That never happens anymore, and people see me visibly as a collector passing through their till as a normal thing. When asked if they're for myself, instead of judgement, I get a discussion on how incredibly popular these things are

I do not believe hasbro's numbers are at all accurate, no one gets carded for a fkn tf so how do they have any idea how old any of their customers are? Aside from people filling out surveys, which guess what, kids have more time and desire to do. It could be 90% kids, it could be 90% adult fans, there's no actual way to tell. That's like if you were trying to get the demographics of people who buy bread, and short of photographing and interviewing every single customer, you'll never know for certain.

I would honestly believe collectors comprise 50% or more of sales of "adult" lines. Collectors have deeper pockets than a kid and more urge than a parent

Good points all around but to the OP's question, we'll never really know
Nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.