View Single Post
Old 03-20-2019, 09:18 AM   #27
OldOfflineMan
Beasty
OldOfflineMan's Ebay Auctions
Re: Smoking-free environment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliebot View Post
I once got a mostly white figure from a smoker's collection and it had significant yellowish-brown deposits from smoke in all the little creases and detail lines, plus a fair bit of staining. And it smelled strongly. I cleaned the figure a LOT but to this day visible traces of cigarette smoke reside and staining remain.
The nicotine grease in the smoke covers everything it touches in a layer of brown, sticky and extremely pungent gunk (now imagine all of that in your throat and lungs - it's a wonder why anyone smokes at all).

This usually isn't a problem with most smokers because many store their figures in display cases, keeping the smoke from coming into contact with the figures. I purchased many figures from smokers who did this and the figures are pristine.

The problematic ones are the smokers who leave their figures unprotected. I bought a Generations Metroplex from a smoker who flat-out lied about the condition of the figure and he actually came yellow and stank to the high heavens.

I spent about an hour scrubbing Metroplex, his accessories and the outer surface of the box with a homemade cleaning solution of water, vinegar and baking soda. This cuts the nicotine grease down completely, returning everything back to its original white colour and removing the odour.

I heard ammonia does the same, but who has large quantities of ammonia sitting around the house?

Edit: LOL, didn't notice I was responding to a revived thread...

Last edited by OldOfflineMan; 03-20-2019 at 09:40 AM.
OldOfflineMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.