Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
FreedomGundam
Freedom, ikimasu!
Custom double-Detolfs

I was thinking of putting this in the Customs and Artwork section, but I figure it's probably best to leave it here.

So we all know that the Ikea Detolf is the default go-to display case for toy/figure collectors. It's by far not the best, but it's generally considered the best bang-for-your-buck.
There are several inherent problems with the stock Detolf:
- they're way too narrow to fit too many things, especially when you put in things with stands/bases
- the bottom two shelves are generally too low, and end up being the shelves with the "neglected" things

So following the inspiration from this guy's work (http://www.tofunction.com/model/2011...tolf-dual-mod/), I present you my own take on the double-Detolfs.

Materials needed:
- 2x Detolfs, obviously
- 2x 16"x32" wooden panel, 1" thick (I used melamine particle-board)
- 4x furniture legs (optional; I used a set of four 6" Ikea Capita legs), but you can skip this and use the stock Detolf "feet" if you don't mind the default height

Tools needed:
- drill, with 1/4" and 3/8" drillbits (and anything else you might need to attach the optional legs)
- router, with a 1/4" straight router bit

Tips/recommendations:
- Measure and drill carefully!
- The use of a drill press is HIGHLY recommended; you want the holes for the rods and everything to be perfectly straight.
- Use a good router and router bits; I used my Dremel with a router-attachment, and I burned/dulled TWO router bits doing this.

So here was my previous setup with two stock Detolfs. I normally had a crapload of boxes in the empty space to the left, and note the disassembled Detolf parts on the right side.

All you need is two panels with the proper holes drilled in the right places, and a channel routed correctly.

Here's a test-fit. No glass panels in place yet. The wiring that's visible is stuff for me to put in lighting later, and I added in a set 6" Ikea Capita legs (comes in packs of 4) to raise the unit (I originally wanted the 8" ones, but my local Ikea didn't have them in stock at the time, so I settled for the 6" ones).

Here it is assembled, but without the doors or shelves yet.

Left double-Detolf in place, with a comparison to two stock Detolfs put side-by-side.

Both double-Detolfs completed.

With the lack of glass panels in-between, even six 1/6-scale (12" tall) Hot Toys figures fit in with PLENTY of elbow room, with lots of space left for more additions:

Enjoy!
I'm not expert on woodworking, but I've built my share of wooden arcade sticks and arcade cabinets, so I'll do my best to answer any questions that come up.

TFs and other toys for sale! (last updated: Post-TFCon2018):
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=72568

Custom Double-Detolfs:
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=47820

Looking for:
- Cybertron Hot Shot
- Cybertron Defense Hot Shot
- G1 Repugnus
- G1 Scowl (with Monstructor foot)
- G1 Icepick small gun
- G1 Fire Guts God Ginrai

Last edited by FreedomGundam; 10-21-2017 at 09:41 AM.
FreedomGundam is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.