Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 09-03-2019, 09:11 PM   #21
Jove
Nostalgia Enthusiast
Re: Toys R Us updated their site, and....trouble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfallenangel View Post
Well, considering that I'm a team coordinator/webmaster for hundreds of international sites... I can state that I absolutely hate when the development team does stuff without consulting mine because "get with the times" when all that would be needed is a few simple changes to stylesheets and such but instead to go for big system updates that breaks everything that requires months (even years) to get it working correctly, aka like it used to, so no.. I will disagree on that whole "updates are needed"... they usually aren't, it's more a question of more intelligence is needed, but that doesn't work as they don't have that, and well... money, they need to warrant their jobs. Some of the most stupid people I've known have been the IT people that came from an university with bright ideas and manages to convince the brass the do such changes.

So, all this to say that it takes about 5 years (every time) to get things "right", and then they go with "let go fancy and "update" our systems (or such)", and it has never worked well, ever... and it's back to another 5 years before they fix the bugs they created. And no, there isn't anything truly new, nor anything that couldn't have been done with the old system. If you know what you're doing, one can program just about anything to do anything "new".
I have to agree. Change for the sake of change is a particular neurosis that I have seen, but never understood. Change should add functionality, or ease of use.

If there was a specific flaw with the old site that was fixed with the new, then great! But I don't see how this new site improved on the old (yet). Yes, the aesthetic is different, but "get with the times" doesn't even make sense unless you add new functions. Maybe the new site is better, but after a quick tour, and I don't see it. A short "Welcome to our new site, here's what's new:" message would have been good. Maybe there is something new. I can't tell.
Jove is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.