Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 01-25-2019, 12:20 AM   #61
steamwhistle
Crossover
Re: Walmart Exclusive Generation 1 Optimus Prime Vintage Reissue Out in Canada

It was fun to collect hockey cards way back when.
Every card was printed equally, and it truly was a hobby and social pastime to trade with other people.
Got 'im - Got 'im - Got 'im - Need 'im - Got 'im.
Suddenly, perhaps not-so-coincidentally, salaries were made public, Eric Lindros became a big deal, and card companies began finding ways to generate more sales: Short-print some cards. (Looking at you, Upper Deck). Cards with a piece of a supposed game-worn jersey embedded inside. The psychology of business and profit killed the fun. The average person would never complete a full set of cards, with the extra special cards included.

Companies generally only care about a consumer as far as image goes as it balance with their profit margins.

Why short-issue the G1 reissue of Outback? Is he that much less-popular than Swerve or Tailgate?
Or why not have all figures available and affordable? (Just as 79transam noted about '80s marketing)
Why have Super-Rare cards in the Transformers Card Game?
Why have Blind Packs for various toys/figures?
Why do they need to issue a new line of Transformers every 8 months?

Maybe I'm a bitter and cynical G1er, but the business has taken the fun out of a lot of aspects to these toys (and other collectibles).

The G1er in me also says: Where are the corresponding cartoons or TV shows? Nemesis Prime? What? Sounds cool. Looks cool. I'll buy it. No idea about from where he came, though.

I ramble...
steamwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.