Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 06-25-2020, 06:45 PM   #18
TRUCKvsGUN
Re: Too many TF toy lines? Which do you collect?

Which line(s) do you collect? and why that/those over the other lines?
I organize my current purchases around 3 themes, two of which are lines:
  • Masterpiece - G1 and BW - They look great on the shelf and feel like the logical progression from my childhood transforming
  • Generations - I go all in. With every new Generations line, I ask myself if I will continue, but I feel like they just keep getting better and better, with Earthrise topping everything that came to retail before it.
  • Optimus Primes - I collect OP's from justabout every line, and many 3P companies. It's a freer style of collecting that sidesteps the complete-the-line compulsion.

Huge collection or carefully curated selection?
I mainly collect two lines, getting justbout everything in them, and justabout nothing from every other line. To me, that feels like curation, but my wife might disagree.

If you collect multiple lines does it ever get overwhelming?
Now and then when I haven't had time for the hobby, the boxes of recent purchases can start stacking up and that can be a headache. That's more about volume of toys than number of lines, though.

Have you ever stopped collecting a line as a result?
I haven't stopped collecting anything due to a sense of being overwhelmed, but I did decide I just wasn't feeling the movie stuff anymore, put most of that stuff on the block, and skipped Studio Series. I still have my Human Alliance cars and DOTM Mechtech collections, which I consider the best of that era and style.

Do you feel the market is over-saturated with all these options?
Not with official stuff, no. I feel like Habro's separate lines are unique enough that they cater to different tastes and budgets, and I appreciate that variety of choice.

The 3PG1MP scene has gotten out of hand, though, and I've largely stepped away of it. I'd rather wait for the official representation of a character, imperfections and all, than be comparing unofficial offerings every few months and asking myself which is slightly better.

I would like to cut back on repaints of the same character, though. I know I don't need 4 Siege Megatrons, but I keep thinking "what if I wanna do a G2 or Netflix display later".

Contact me if you have for sale:
Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe Book
Botcon 2006 Dawn of Futures Past Boxed Set
MP-01 Matrix
POTP Onyx Prime

Last edited by TRUCKvsGUN; 06-26-2020 at 02:14 AM.
TRUCKvsGUN is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.