Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 06-24-2020, 11:34 PM   #12
MahtimusPrime09
Shut up, Rattrap
MahtimusPrime09's Ebay Auctions
Re: Too many TF toy lines? Which do you collect?

Which line(s) do you collect? and why that/those over the other lines?
My collecting has honestly been slower these days but it’s basically been mostly Studio Series. Love the line, finally giving us those which we’ve been wanting for a long while. Also a big Generations collector. Started my collection with the line in fact. But the relatively recent price hike has gotten me to contemplate the worthiness of the line to my budget and wallet. I know Studio Series has also seen the increase in price, but I’ve been getting movie figures I’ve never had. With Generations I can’t help but question if I would rather have an MP version eventually when I can afford more MPs. That leads me to my next collecting line: MPs. I only have 8-10 but I’m slowly building what is going to be a beautiful collection. I have a sealed Prime/Beast Hunters set. It’s mostly complete, but I’m still hunting for a few more goodies, mostly Arms Micron but a few Hasbro Prime figures as well. One of the biggest lines I’ve been loving to collect more recently has been Kreons from the Kre-O line. Love those Lego lookalikes! Otherwise, a bunch of odds and ends that can be considered lines, like the TCG set, other trading card sets, books/novels, comic books, cars/die-cast vehicles and posters/artwork among other things.

Huge collection or carefully curated selection?
I’d have to say it’s closer to huge than curated. But on a side note I’m not sure what number makes a collection huge. My count is over 350 but less than 400 figures if I’m not mistaken. Based on what I mentioned above, it’s probably closer to huge. On another note, the collection hunt used to be “get everything and anything”. Now it’s a tiny bit curated in that it isn’t that.

If you collect multiple lines does it ever get overwhelming?
I wouldn’t say it’s overwhelming, but it can be a case of not knowing what to choose given the many choices and the limited budget. That part can be a pain as it restricts what can be obtained, and given the collecting spectrum being wide, it can sometimes lead to wondering if the right buying decision was made. Even though any purchase decision is the right decision in that I’m always happy to add to my collection.

Have you ever stopped collecting a line as a result?
I’ve never really actually stopped collecting a line in general so the answer to that question is no. Although I must say the price hike has led to me buying less figures and buying less frequently. Hopefully more sales arrive in the future. Or better yet, an extremely unlikely price drop occurs, but obviously that is near impossible.

Do you feel the market is over-saturated with all these options?
I’m not sure if I can say it’s over-saturated based on its situation. So much of Transformers toys have their place in retail with TRU, Amazon, Walmart, etc. So lots of what kids, some teenagers and some adults collect is found there. But so much high end, expensive stuff is not found there and instead in hobby stores and online. So in a way it’s spread out but with so many choices within these venues, I guess it’s a lot. Not that I’m complaining.

So there you go. Sorry for the rambling. Hope you enjoyed my thoughts/insight.

My Sales Thread
My Want List
My Collection
My Feedback Page

Last edited by MahtimusPrime09; 06-25-2020 at 02:01 AM.
MahtimusPrime09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.