Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Thread: Storage?
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2019, 08:05 PM   #6
Zenith27
Woodward's G1 lurker
Re: Storage?

My brother's G1 stuff has been stored loose in a light blue Rubbermaid tote for 25+ years in a closet on Vancouver Island in a non-air conditioned house and everything is still fine when I raid it for something.

My GI Joes were in the same totes in a non-temperature controlled attic and the higher/lower temperatures did 2 things over about 20 years.

1) Vinyl label adhesive gassed and put bubbles throughout the the underside of the labels, stretching them out.

2) Soft clear plastic parts softened in the heat and re-hardened in the wrong shape. (Dragonfly cockpit cover, TTBP windscreen)

Everything else came out in perfect shape though if the plastic had higher UV exposure before it went into the tote, it was discoloured once it came out. It's my understanding higher temperatures can perhaps accelerate this but the UV exposure is the true culprit.

Our house never had fluorescent lighting and the TFs never really went outside so here's a short list of G1 bots in the tote for an idea of materials in question (assume all weapons are present)

Optimus Prime
Jazz
Windcharger
Soundwave
Dirge
Slag
Sunstreaker
Superion
Mixmaster
Scrapper
Shrapnel
Blaster
Omega Supreme
Beachcomber
Inferno
Swindle
Vortex
Blurr
Crosshairs

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.