Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 10-28-2016, 11:19 AM   #37
Stormrave
Machine War
Re: suggestions for tfcon 2017

I really appreciate printing the schedule on the back of the passes. It's far more convenient than putting it in the program and I rely on it to get to events I want to see.

Because of this, though, it's better if panels don't start early. I too missed the script reading because it started early. I showed up at the time on the schedule and it was just ending.

I also understand that sometimes you can't magically know how long something will take, leading to the awkwardness at Mr Dille's Movie presentation. Mr Dille talked with the audience a lot, which was awesome, but also made the movie run long.

I know sometimes emergencies and unforeseen events happen, but if they do, I'd like to suggest an announcement be made (in the dealer's room, panel room and hallway) Maybe also a message on the notice board? I think people would understand an announcement saying Faction Feud would be delayed by 20 minutes or that the script reading was starting early. (And if it didn't have to start early, waiting for the scheduled time would be better than an announcement).

The con comic was disappointing this year. I understand the intent was a parody, but it came off in poor taste--especially because the parody didn't reflect what I've seen at the con itself in the 11 years I've been attending. TFCon is a friendly con that respects its guests and welcomes fans of all ages, genders, orientations and nationalities, and that's what the comic should reflect.

I rather liked the comics that tied in with the story from the script reading.

I don't know if the con has any control over the Quest Bar's pricing. I voted with my wallet and went to Burger King more this year. It's sort of a shame when the special menu didn't offer any savings over the regular menu.

I wonder if a map of local restaurants could be a thing? Probably the hotel wants as many people as possible to eat there. It's amazing how many people didn't know there was a Burger King in easy walking distance.

I continue to love the robot-themed drinks. Please keep doing these.

I enjoyed this year's panels on transforming robots in Japanese culture and the different Japanese Transformers series. I enjoyed past years' panels about unreleased toys, all about prototypes and Transformers video games through the franchise's history too. It's always great to see new stuff that isn't fandom general knowledge and, even if it is on the Internet, you might not know where to find it or what to look for.

There are some panels that are just traditions not to mess with: the script reading, Faction Feud, voice actor panel, etc are perfect as they are.

The charity auction on Friday night remains the best time, before we all lose our money in the dealers' room.

I wonder if publically posting signage and/or pre-panel announcements would help make certain people more considerate. In past years I've heard more complaints about different types of rudeness: getting hit in the face by overstuffed backpacks when the wearer turns around, people using strollers as cowcatchers to shove through crowds, cellphones in faces, children grabbing things that don't belong to them, etc.

I think it's unreasonable to ban strollers/backpacks/cellphones/etc as plenty of people use these things responsibly and if you've got toddlers or mobility issues then large devices aren't optional and you shouldn't be shut out of the dealer's room because you need them. There are also a lot of well-behaved kids at TFCon and we want to encourage parents to bring kids.

Would people notice a reminder to carry rather than wear bags in crowds (the giveaway bags are great for this, minimizing the need to take a big backpack), respect the view of people behind you in panels, be mindful with large equipment, that parents are responsible for the behaviour of their children, etc?

I've noticed that Oasis's helpful announcements at the start of panels have seriously reduced the amount of "people noisily transforming toys during panels" which was a rude thing people did a lot of several years ago and almost nobody does now. So it's not that we're all ruder; we've actually gotten politer about this, and the announcements helped.
Stormrave is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.