Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 11:41 AM   #39
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind
Re: What Did You Think Of Bumblebee?? **SPOILERS**

Was able to see it last night and overall I thought it was more good then bad, but I certainly understand the critiques that people have.

The Good:

Hailee Steinfeld was pretty great in this role and gave some depth to a female character in a Transformers movie. Reminded me of a more grown up version of Izabella from the Last Knight.

I also liked the treatment of the Transformers in general: More screen time, a better sense of their motivation and certainly more G1-like. The first 15 minutes really felt like a love letter to everyone who wanted a more G1 feel to these movies and it actually worked for me.

The main story was cohesive and the lay person could easily follow the plot. Compare that to the other 5 Bay-verse movies and you can see why general audiences started to pull back from the franchise.

The Bad:

For whatever reason, I get hung up on continuity errors in moves and with this being a prequel and soft reboot, it somewhat confuses the whole timeline. Now if the movie was meant to be a prequel OR reboot I don't care; just pick one and go with it, but it can't be both.

While I think Charlie was consistent, I feel as though the human characters were a bit all over the place in as far as who they were and had some missed potential. For example her Mom was serious at the times when she should have been caring, aloof when she should have been serious and caring finally at the end. Same with John Cena's character- he had some really funny lines, but then was way to serious at others. Finally, I think they missed an opportunity with Ron.

As with most movies I think they could have cut 20 minutes out and it would have made for a tighter story. Remove things like: the lemonade mishap at the pier, the "give me your shirt" sequence and riding out the sunroof, the to scared to dive scene, the mean girls "you have a dead Dad scene" and the toilet paper revenge scene. (the eggs and car trashing was file, but she's 18, why is she toilet papering a house?? Also points for the most weird product placement for a movie) I understand that these are character building moments in the story, but at this point they are cliche and have little payoff.

The Ugly.

The dive at the end was silly, cliche and lazy to say the least.

Overall the movie was good and I'm actually happy with the direction that the franchise is heading in.

Last edited by Team Jetfire; 01-11-2019 at 11:43 AM.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.