Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 03-28-2024, 05:52 PM   #3751
random11
Generation 1
Re: GameStop.ca (formerly EB Games) Transformers Sightings and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Tango Foxtrot View Post
SSL certificates have nothing to do with your webhost, and you can get them for free from services like Let's Encrypt.
That's actually not quite accurate. Most webhosts either sell or provide SSL certificates (I wont say "all" but... all of them that I've ever dealt with do).

There are also third party SSL providers separate from webhosts... Let's Encrypt being one of them...

However, depending on your webhosting plan, you may not be able to use Let's Encrypt's free SSL certificate very easily. They used to have a list of supported webhosts. And if you were on a host that wouldn't give you support you could still use their certificates in "manual mode" but you would have to manually renew your certificate every 60 days (maybe it was 90 days I honestly forget), anyway... point being... it would be a pain to manage.

That all said, like I said before... the ads and money from forcing affiliate links is probably well enough to cover even the paid certificates if they are on a host that doesn't offer free certificates and don't want to migrate to a different host.
random11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.