Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 09-16-2014, 02:10 PM   #14
UltraPrimal
Canadian Slag
Re: FPcore Steel Core Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedtime View Post
wow, marketing? who does that anymore!? jeez.
I'm not criticizing their marketing. I'm just saying people shouldn't get their hopes up or be blinded by flashy words like "limited" and "premium".

I like the original Steelcore. But it was a fluke. It was an original figure in a business that's based on co-oping existing TF characters. It's a great figure, but I see no reason for a trailer or extra core figures. Sometimes less is more.

There might have been a place for this years ago. Especially if FansProject continued to produce their own original figures not directly based on existing TFs. Which I would have loved to see, BTW. Even if it was just repaints of Defender and Assaulter in interesting colors.

But nowadays, with tons and tons of great official and unofficial products out there, there's no reason to go back and buy an add-on for something like Steelcore. It's like buying a new faceplate for your Xbox 360. Yeah, I still play 360, but the ONE is current gen. No reason to invest money into a product for a past gen system that only adds aesthetic value.

And with so many 3rd party companies these days, FansProject's name as a brand doesn't mean so much anymore. Don't get me wrong. They do amazing stuff. I'll certainly buy their Quickswitch and Sixknight when I get the chance. But there's kind of a brand dilution in the 3rd party market right now. There's so many companies doing so much, it's almost impossible to keep them separate. And that effects public opinion. It dilutes it. Muddies it. FansProject can't be Coke when there's a million other Cokes and Pepsis out there.

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.