Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 06-17-2018, 10:08 PM   #58
ironhide_warmachine
Generation 2
ironhide_warmachine's Ebay Auctions
Re: Hasbro Summer Savings - 2018

I have noticed that this topic of ethics in buying widely available earlier wave of figures during sale and then exchanging for a later waves of figure keep getting brought up from time to time. I am fully aware that after I share my piece, the topic will continue to come up again and again. Still here is what I feel about this topic.

First, exchange within the same store doesn't bother me one bit if the items being exchanged are the same dollar value in retail store whether the first item was bought on sale or not. Toys'r'us stores do give out rainchecks on select items and I know that Transformers brand is definitely included. Sometimes it is just convenient to buy double of a figure with the intention of exchanging one later down the line when the next wave hits. Staff members tend to be inconsistent and vary in terms of giving out rainchecks and granting the quantity you request for, so sometimes I just skip the raincheck and just buy extras.

Second, exchange for items in a different store (Toys'r'us x Walmart). I understand that many are arguing against this particular practice. I will make the same argument, doesn't bother me one bit if the items being exchanged are the same dollar value in retail store whether the first item was bought on sale in Toys'r'us or Walmart. If you can do it go for it, but to me it isn't worth the effort of pretending that you don't have the receipt and explaining to the middle-aged lady what is it that you want. Yes arguments about shelf-warmer, and the chances of not getting later waves are reasonable and valid but believe it or not products move sooner or later thanks to children and their parents/grandparents/relatives. Walmart can definitely absorb a few shelf-warmers here and there, I bet they are more worried about theft of items than just left over stock.

I realize as I write that I prefer minimal interaction with the staff as possible.

To the people saying, "why don't you give away the extras you bought as a gift or charity" and "don't dump the non-sellers in Walmart". Not everyone is in the same position as yourself. You may be fortunate enough to do so but many people here have to mind their expenses. Doing what you enjoy should not be exclusive to the wealthy. People save money to spend it on what gives them joy and they will try to stretch that money as far as possible. Imposing standards that restrict them but don't particularly restrict you is being deliberately cruel.

In the end, these are just things people do to get what they want. They don't do this with any ill-intentions. It may be a bit short-sighted and they may see fewer products from the later waves in the long run but that is a consequence of their decision and they have to be okay with that as well. What happens if later waves don't show up? Absolutely nothing, you continue to do the things you do. Remember this is only a hobby and we need to find joy in this not find ways to deny others the same joy.
Now if you talk about KOs, thats a whole different topic.
ironhide_warmachine is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.